Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need a new plan

JessyLovestheCubsJJessyLovestheCubs Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
So as many of you know I've had lots of problems with doctors because I'm so young and they don't see anything on my MRI or other tests that shows anything wrong.

Ok, well as you also might now I live in Iowa City and go to the University's hospital and have horrible problems with their doctors being cocky and rude and accusing me of faking my problems. After talking to many people who have told me stories about how bad the doctors there are about being cocky (because it's a teaching hospital) I think maybe I should go to a different hospital.

There's another hospital right down the road and many people have told me to go there. And actually a lot of people I have talked to have gone to the University hospital and then switched to the other one because the doctors were so mean to them.

I'm sure none of my doctors at the U of I hospital will refer me to the other one because they refuse to even see me right now because they said there's nothing they can do for me. I have to get my pain medicine from my pediatrician in Des Moines as he has been the only one who really believes me. I had a doctor in Cleveland who said he saw a fissure on my MRI but he moved and I don't know where he's at now.

So I guess I just don't know how to go about this. Should I ask my pediatrician to refer me to the other hospital? Should I go to the ER at the other hospital when I have a bad day with my back and have them refer me to someone within the hospital?

Any suggestions are welcome. (Unless you're being negative and talking down to me Wink )


  • Okay, I think I'm having a Lyrica moment. I swear I replied to this earlier? Shrug...:)


    If your insurance doesn't require a referral, I would do as your suggesting, go to the other hospital. If of course you need a referral and your present doctors don't give it to you, ask your pediatrician to give you one.

    You are being a very good advocate for your health care as shown by your post. Please let us know how it goes.

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • If you would feel more comfortable at the other hospital..go! Call your ins. company, and see if you need a referral - if you do..then get one from your primary doc's office. Why put up with rude and uncaring Doctor's? If your in pain - then they should be trying to help you figure out why, and how to ease the pain...not by making it hard for you to access care and making you feel bad for trying to get yourself some help.
  • ha! no I put this up in the wrong forum and then moved it over here lol. Thanks for the support though! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.