Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Points - What are they?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
Oh, I would love to be able to cash my points for green stamps!

Unfortunately, the points here will not do that. If anything, points seem to have a negative aspect.

Points, in reality do not mean anything.

If anything, you can see a member's amount of post to as how much they contribute.

I have brought this forward to the owners. I just can not see anything positive associated with the points here.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Heheh... Green Stamps - Use to bowl for those puppies! :) I take my 'feel' on a person on how they present, and how consistent they are. E.g., is this person for real, or just posting to post junk?

That noted, the "points" or post numbers at least gives me a ball park on how involved one may be here - combined with how long they've been on a site. Most sites are 'self controlling' of people. If someone is a loser, they aren't going to have 500+ posts and still be on the site. Also too, if I see a guy who has 50 posts in a year, I might be reluctant to post as I might not get an answer?

In a nutshell... Dates with post numbers, help me see if they will post to a reply, after a certain amount of time they are still here...some sense of credibility, community acceptance? Sites do have a 'community' sense about them.

I still like the idea of trading them in for gifts!! :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • The only use for points is that they might get Frog a pony ride. Not on my pony, but I'm sure I could find a non-evil pony out there somewhere.
    or I'll be writing,
    "I will not talk in class"
    "I will not talk in class"
    "I will not talk in..."
    Oh look I think I just got another point!

(Dave how many more do I have left?)

Look out pony ride here I come!

Too much fun! Thanks for the giggle I needed it.

Honest Ron, I've had more fun at the whole point system's expense in the past. I do get where you can see how much someone contributes or over contributes though. I just tend to look at the date and the total post. I don't get how the points rack up.

I think Grahm once promised me an Island vacation or some such...see there I go again.
  • Those points have done nothing but make a little fun as to what can be done with them. As far as the amount of time someone has been here and the number of post they make it is not really relative. WE have many members who don't post on the forums much but they sure use chat quit a bit. Then there are those who read the forums but just don't post to them much, but are still active here on the site. So for me number of post or points do nothing for me. I think no matter what those things say each person has a value to the site. Actually it is rare i read those stats on someone or I look at the sig lines either. To me what is important is the message they are writing.
  • I have to say I agree with Brenda on this one. If I read a post and something doesn't seem right to me or if there is something I've never heard of I look at the date they joined and their posts.

This gives me one point of reference as I consider what is being said. For instance if someone comes on and says something like "this device is the best thing ever" I can look at the date they joined and the number of posts to see if they are new or an active member of the forum. And if I see someone who has been here a long time but not posting that would make me think also since this might mean they have only one interest or they think this is really important.

As far as other uses maybe they could give out prizes like they do at Chucky Cheese. They could be spine related like grabbers or raised toilet seats :)
  • Glad to hear that tamtam. The amount of time I spend just reading FAR exceeds the amount of post I make. (That's obvious if you look at my date compared to my post and point count.)

Other than a few giggles and the occassional support now and again, I will post if I really feel I have something I can or wish to add.

Then there's the times I know I'm not myself and retreat within. No posting then for me.

I guess I could always be more supportive of others but I'm still confident that does not make me any less of a valued member.
  • The only time they make a difference for me is when they read 1 or 2 and the post is suspicious. If the post is not suspicious, a new poster is a new poster. There is a tendency, however, for people to start new log-in names to continue to tout their product or whatever, so that's when the post counts are valuable.

Beyond that, not so much. Although I don't believe anybody would argue the contribution some of those with high post counts make to the positive and friendly atmosphere of the forum- it's hard to do that without having people who post. But you can figure that out without reading the numbers, it becomes clear by the way people react to them and the atmosphere of the threads they post in.

• I was saving them to trade for a beer< sorry but I just saw there as humorous! please take it as such!