Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After The Brace Comes Off In Three Months --- What To Expect

Natelle2NNatelle2 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I was doing great! I was so thrilled that I had surgery and was really sorry that I had to wait so long.

I was told to wear my brace and take it off only to shower. That was almost 24 hours a day.

I went to doctor, had the 3 month, told them of my security of the belt and I would like to decrease the amount of time wearing it rather than stop. So yes, I stopped using it.

That night,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh no the pain. The next day, I was back in that belt and took it off and on for the next few. Today is my first day with out it.

My muscles, I guess have really had a hard time with this. I wonder, did I have myself wrapped too tight. Did I do damage from being wrapped 24 hours a day.

The pain has been unbearable...........the fusion site is ok.

My pain begin where the hardware went in and the Thorasic area.

Has anyone suffered after taking off belt to this degree.

I thought it would come off and all would be great.

Sometime, I think something must really be wrong. I don't think this should be normal. Am I ok??? They are saying yes, but they always do.

Thank you!!!

• I am thinking this must not happen very often or someone else would have had this happen.

It really did seem odd to me that brace could go so much. Pehaps they dropped me...that would make sense and go along with the other injuries I have suffered as secondary trouble.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health! :)

I, too, was confined to a brace for 3 1/2 months after my multiple compression fractures and the thoracolumbar wire fixation and hardware fusion which followed. I even had to shower in mine.

Like you, I was so anxious to take the thing off and be free from it. Much to my surprise, the weaning process was long and painful. I lost the majority of my core muscle strength.

It takes time to wean yourself and I wish you the best of luck during this process.

What brace are you wearing? Mine was the TLSO hard shell brace.

Best wishes to you for less pain,

• My belt, I suppose was generic. It looks generic, although when I asked for a difference size they said it cost $2700-3000. I think that should require a name or a lable LOL

I am feeling better after one P.T. appointment. Perhaps all the muscles need were streching. It was horrible. I felt pain just like herniating a Thorasis disc.

I did not know to expect these muscle proplems. I though it would be like a cast coming off. Free....and easy.

I am doing fine. Just a little pain, pulling, also tired back. I lay down with my moist heat for an hour than I am up for the rest of the night :)

I do still put my belt on in the car,,,just in case. I do feel protected with it.

Thanks for telling me how your brace affected you :)
  • Hi Natelle,

I didn't see this topic before or would have jumped in a little sooner. I'm 17 days post-op 2-level lumbar fusion and I came home in a rigid thoraco-lumbar brace which was custom-made to specifically fit me. Have had to brace adjusted 3 times because of problems, the worst one being it causes radiculopathy in my leg after wearing it. Am only supposed to be wearing it when I'm up and around but can't stand the extra pain it causes so I wear it only when I leave the house to go to town.

Not too many people on the board who have had this kind of brace. Am trying to determine if my problems are unique or if other people have experienced pain after wearing their braces. The pain is bad enough to keep me up in the middle of the night. Am on Lyrica and Dilaudid and getting by but I want to know what's causing this pain and hopefully stop it. Thanks for listening--I hope you're doing well now and are still happy with your surgery. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled