Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New MRI results

spinethoracicspinethoracic Posts: 70
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi, i had a new MRI yesterday (last one was in january) and here are my results...
Small dorsomedial herniation at t6 t7 with compression of dural bag front,with reducing subarachoidal space. What this dural bag means??? 90% od doctors say its not from this herniation because is small?!?!???? So why i have this pain? Can someone reccomend some other tests for thoracic area because im 24/7 in pain :( sorry for my grammar...gretings from Croatia...

• I would say that it is the dural sac, which surrounds the spinal cord and carries the spinal fluid up and down the spinal cord.
  • Don't get hung up on size. I am one of those that even small hernias throw me into megga pain 101! Lets say you could have twins. Each has the exact same MRI, one with big hernias = no pain or symptoms, the other, small hernias = major pain! Can flip the other way too. MRI's are just part of the diagnostic tools used to hopefully come to a realistic conclusion as to what is going on.

So, try and be patient, wait and see what the doctor says. He/she will take that MRI and any other tests along with his exam of you to figure what the next course of action or treatment is best. Please let us know how it goes. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • yeah i know someone say big herniation = no pain or small herniation = pain...on of the best surgeon here in croatia say,to prove if this disc is source of pain i must go to provocative discography...has anyone have this proccedure fot thoracic part??? its paintfull?? tnx :)
  • Spine,

The key is that until a full exam and those tests the doctor deems necessary, the 'bulge' size isn't as important as 'what' the patient is feeling. There are people with "train wreck" MRI's yet feel great! Others barely have much beyond "normal" on theirs, and they hurt like the dickens! I hope you have more answers soon. :)

• yes i know...when i ask my neurologist(i thing bad gramar)if there is some other test to do in this area,he say - no it is because of this disc...and then other doctors say "the pain does not came from your disc"...its so so frustrating and confusing...
  • Spine,

Is that why they are having you get a discogram? My NS doesn't use them except for Lumbar. I've never had one, and from what I've read on here, I hope to continue to avoid them. Then again, lots of people say EMG's are extremely painful, yet having gone through several, nope, no problems there. I guess it all goes back to the original in that we are all different on what bothers us, and too different on what causes us problems. Fun huh? :)

• This is a cool link that I cam across. You can click on what ever vertebrae and get the associated nerve information.

T7 does wrap but also can effect your limbs.

I hope you get some relief soon >:D<

• i have been seen this site allready but tnx anyway :) and tnx to you anelsen also...i think i will go to this proccedure for an 1 month...and anelsen what discogram shows in your case?
  • and can you explain is this pain like normal pain,or must be wors if the disc is pain generator???
  • hm...:( if i am not considering a surgery then maybe its better to not go to this procedure?!? and what is about your VATS surgery...still nothing?
  • please can someone suggest if i can go to some other tests for thoracic part,such as lung xray,hart or something else? today realy pain go so worse,i have stabing in front left side,where hart is...its terrible realy :(
  • Spinethoracic,

I just re-read your thread to refresh on were we where. I too am one that has a history of 'small' but painful herniations. Like you have probably seen on here, some people can have huge ones, hitting the nerves even, and not one symptom! You have others (like me), small ones on the right area of the nerve and agony!

You might want to see about getting an additional opinion on your body (exam) and your diagnostic tests already done. We are all so different on *what* actually hurts us. If the doctor(s) you have now are discounting your pain due to the MRI alone, or just their common experience, I would consider seeing another doctor. I don't know if they do discograms in the thoracic - I would assume they do, but dunno. The test at least can be used to demonstrate to them if a particular disk is the "pain generator" for you.

Have they also explored to be sure if you have any arthritis in that area? I was shocked (no pun intended) to find I had arthritis throughout my thoracic, not in the lumbar or cervical yet? Please let us know what you find out. I'm sorry for your pain, thoracic (to me) is in many ways worse than back or neck as it tends to "wrap" more around the body than does other areas of the spine. Gentle *hugz* to you.

• i have tested myself for artrithis and reuma but its shows negative...so its not this...so still searching whats up with me...already 1.5 pass and im on the same place...24 years only...realy so tirred of this pain and doctors also...wish you all painfree life :)))
  • Maybe I can learn something today! How do you "test yourself for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis? Thanks. You said your 24? Age that young can be a negative with many doctors here in the states. They have these "blinders" on that short of trauma, someone so young can't have spinal pains....:(

• i give blodd to test if i have reuma or artritis markers in my blodd...and it was negative...at least here in croatia is that type of test to see if person have or not have reuma/artritis...i was 16 when i first time go to doctor because of my low back pain...and is still here! first my doctor tell - you are to young for this,go to swimming etc...and 7 year later MRI showed l4 l5 herniation with annular tear...and now this thoracic problems...hard to live normaly....doctors,realy no comment :@ arghhhhh....
  • Never had a blood test for it myself, but they could see it on my last MRI. You *hopefully* won't have arthritis for a while. :) Looks like you have already run the "you're too young for...." Sorry darlin. I do hope you have answers soon.

• I am so sorry to hear that your thoracic pain is not letting up.

Are you on any medications to help with your pain? Are you able to lay down and take it easy for a few days? What about using heat... have you been using that?

Regarding blood tests for people with arthritis...

Blood is often drawn here in the US, as well, for those who suffer with arthtitis. If your doctor suspects you have arthritis, they may draw blood to determine which type of arthritis you have. In people with Osteoarthritis, blood tests are not usually abnormal. With other types of arthritis, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, certain tests can help your doctor decide which type you have. (I have a family history with RA, so that is how I know about the blood stuff).

Wishing you less pain,

• ok,to answer your questions...i give up with pain killers,because that doesent help...sometimes when it hurst alot i take muscle-relaxers and then is "better"...this pain is present all the time,like i have knife between my shoulder bladdes...already a year and half like that...(you know the filling when you have a biger rock in your shoes,that filing wich i have in my thoracic area)
    Heat realy helps,but when i move "heat" then all the same..