Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS and Psych Eval

backpain3bbackpain3 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
So, I had my Psych eval back in July and passed. Then my PM doctor left the state, so I got an appt with his replacement in Aug. and were going to move ahead with the trial. They told me it would be 4-06 weeks due to insurance approval, etc. I received a call yesterday from PM's office that they finally received the document from Psych. However, in his note he stated that I was fine at the time of the appt in July, but however, since 2 months have passed he could not verify that I was still a good candidate since things may have changed. So my PM doc does not want to submit paperwork to my insurance in the fear they will disapprove. But also, my insurance company will not approve me to see the psych again. This would all be funny if I wasn't in so much pain. So my PM said they will try to work things out, but I may have to wait 4 more months so I can go to Psych again. What a fiasco. Thanks for letting me vent. Does anyone have Arachnoditis? Did the SCS help any?

• Sorry to here about the phsyc eval. I have no advice but to try and be patient. I have Adhesive Arachnoiditis (AA). My stimulator provides about 40 to 50% relief. Some days are better than others based on my activity levels. I'm not one for sitting still, so it's a pain to deal with. Has your AA plateaued? I've finally reached a pretty consistent state after several years of slow progression.

Good luck on the waiting game.

• Thanks Dave, I am glad that I am a patient person. I don't know much about the Arachnoiditis stuff, so I am not sure if it has plateaued. I know it has been getting somewhat worse in the last couple of months. I had surgery in Dec. and woke up with nerve damage and foot drop. I had an MRI in March and my PM said that my Thecal Sac and nerves are fully encased and being squeezed. I have severe back and legs and foot pains. I have also started to have alot of spasms and weakness in my legs, almost to the falling point. So does this actually level out at some point? Thanks for your help!
  • Even if you do not have a current psych eval, your doctor can over ride it. I failed my psych exam as the woman who was doing the psych exam felt my back pain was cause by my emotional turmoil over my husbands death rather than the 6 screws, teo rods, two cages and 3 surgeries on my back. This same woman recommended I seek past life regression to figure out if my pain was being caused by something that happened to me in a past life (I swear to God, you cant make this stuff up!!)

Anyway, my surgeon dismissed her recommendation and did the surgery anyway. I have had my stim for about 6 months and am doing well.
  • Thanks Dina, my PM has to get authorization from my insurance and they are concerned insurance will not approve the trial due to psych's comments.
  • backpain3, yes it should level out some time. It's taken me about two years to get to where I am right now. As long as I can refrain from any further trauma to my back, things should be as they are for a while.

Dina, you just put the biggest smile on face today. I knew i must have done some thing in my past to deserve my problems, just didn't go back far enough.

• Yes I had my SCS inplanted about May and yes it does help. Just remember Its not a cure but it will help.

• I have to agree with Dave, the past life regression stuff just cracks me up. So I wonder ... if a person has the past life regression done and it turns out that they were a dog in a past life ...

Anyway, sorry you had to tolerate such idiocy and glad to hear that your SCS is helping.

Sorry you are having to jump through hoops just to get some much needed relief.