Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having back surgery #2

RobertRRobert Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK I'm having my second lumbar surgery this one more seroius than the last there going to do a fusion on my L5,L4 doing in minimly invasive, what he wrote on the surgery order is Transfacet Decompression,TLIF,ILIF, I know what the TLIF is but what is the rest and he said that he was going to use a plate instead on pedical screws and rods what is the best way to go plate or the rods and screws I hear this is a pretty painfull surgery so all the info you could give me would be appreciated thanks

• good luck my friend {did you have a discography before the surgery?} i am having my discography in a few hours to see if i can have a multilevel fusion /are you in the UK? i am ..good luck rob keep us all informed and stick to your post op instructions .i know of others that have done stuff that they should not have done and regretted it so be careful !
  • Hi and good luck.

I herniated L5/S1 and had a microdiscectomy. It failed within probably 2 weeks of the surgery but we waited 3 months before re-mri'ing. I reherniated. I had been told fusion by some doctos and revision MicroD by others.

I did lots of research and yet still not sure about ILIF. I know ALIF, PLIF, TLIF, XLIF. And they can do Minimally invasive TLIFs though they are minimally invasive only from incision and muscle disruption. THey still remove the disc an drill to put the rods and screws in.

One suggestion is to ask your surgon if he does any nerve monitoring. I had nerve monitoring during my revision and I swear the recovery was easier because of it. I'm not sure if it's true but it was done as a part of the hospital I went to because they were going in through an old scar/incision.

I think with XLIF they may do it as a part of the surgery as well.

• Yes I did get a discogram the worst thing I have ever had done to my back WOW that sucked never again would I do that. Best of luck to you and thanks for the kind words
  • Thanks for the kind words you guys.
  • Hi Robert,
    I'm getting my second fusion in a couple of weeks (L4-5). We are going with the ILIF technique. What this involves is (I'm just re-typing the info I have...), first, about a 3 inch incision to get to the necessary area. A decompression of the disc space (opening up) and a careful removal of only a small section of bone to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord and nerves.
    -A precision-machined allograft (donor) bone is placed between the spinous processes to accomplish the following:
    -permanently distract (open up) areas that are pressing the spinal cord and/or nerves. (Indirect decompression)
    -Promote a fusion between the spinous processes to provide long-term spine stabilization.
    -Provide a "protective cover" for the spinal cord to help prevent scar tissue from pressing on the spinal cord and/or nerves.

A small plate is then attached to both spinous processes to stabilize the segment of the spine to promote fusion, elimination the need for more extensive surgery.
    Note: you can google ILIF and get a little info (very little though).

My surgeon expects surgery to last 20-30 minutes tops! Im home the same day as long as the anesthetic doesn't make me sick... Outpatient fusion!

My previous PLIF was really hard on me recovery wise due to how much cutting and distracting is done. I am expecting (wishful thinking) to be on my indoor bike trainer in a couple of days to start to get ready for next race season! I'll hoping to be out on my bike in a couple of weeks post surgery!

I wish you a lot of luck with whatever you choose!

• Do you know if the surgeon plans to leave the Spinous Process ligament intact? Interesting, I've never heard of this type of fusion before.

Also you wrote
    Provide a "protective cover" for the spinal cord to help prevent scar tissue from pressing on the spinal cord and/or nerves.
    I am curious about this, since I have had two adjacent spinous processes removed along with the lamina from facet to facet.

Best wishes for an easy surgery and quick recovery. I hope you are back up on your trainer in no time.

• Thanks for the info and best of luck to you.
  • C,
    I do believe that small segment of ligament will be removed. If I understood correctly, since that area will now be fused, the ligament will not be useful and It will open up a little more space... As far as the allograft goes, it is placed underneath the spinous processes. It will also help facilitate fusion.. My SP (L5-S1) were not removed in the first procedure only part of one side of the lamina (different surgeon BTW).

This particular technique is rather new like the XLIF.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! We all need them here!

• Ah ... that makes sense. Cool. I always like to hear about new and innovative procedures. The surgeon I have left the tips of the two spinous process still captured within the ligament and left the ligament intact so that I would maintain strength and flexibility and not require fusion. It looks really weird on the images and feels funky too.

I used to ride road bikes when I was stationed in Arizona and Colorado. Loved to ride the 50's and Century's. Had a Schwinn Peleton that I put some incredible miles on! Now the only bike I am putting miles on, is a stationary one. Hope to hear that you are back on your trainer in no time. Just don't push it and definitely pay attention to the doc's orders!

• My surgery has been moved up to October 20 just around the corner wierd but I can't wait to be hact on. only you can understand that coment.
  • Best of luck on your surgery.