Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aqua Therapy

Humble_PieHHumble_Pie Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
Well, I went into my neurosurgeon this week and he certainly wasn't pleased with my progress this past year since my lower back surgery. He was talking about the Dorsal Column Stimulator, shots, nerve oblation, etc. I've tried everything but the Stimulator and I have a tens that helps but very little. I have read a lot on here about success stories related to Aqua Therapy. I have also talked to several people where this was the only thing that saved them. I know that regular physical therapy was causing way more problems than help but I pushed the aqua therapy thing and he found a physical therapy office that specializes in both spinal and aqua therapies. I think they do everything they can to keep the treatments (and money) in house. I had never tried aqua therapy and with the success rates I have found, I'm surprised that I had to push so hard to get my dr. to put me in it especially where everything else has failed. Like I said before, I think they want to keep you in house so they can make more money off you and if they don't offer that type of treatment they just try to push you in a different direction. Anyway, I'm very excited to try this and hopeful that it will improve my condition. I figured I'd post here hoping that something good will come of it. I'll keep you all up to speed and let you know how it goes. If you have any aqua therapy experiences, please share them. I have no idea what to expect. All I know is I hear it is one of the more successful rehab treatments.

Wish me luck!!! Pain Free wishes to all my spiney friends.

• Howdy Humble Pie,

I have issues throughout my spine, and I went for a session of aqua therapy to learn the exercises. The closest one for me is over an hour away on a good day! Way to long to drive for me anymore. I have a pool, and as such, that is where I get my 'spiney' breaks for one...low load/stress exercise is not only possible but with more regularity. I hope you get good results. I know it helped me immensely. Please let us know how it works for you!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • to know about your experience w/ aqua therapy as well! My Doc hasd talked about it, but since it's winter time coming up - and indoor pools are a luxury here in the northeast, we've put it on hold for the time being.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    I was in Aqua Therapy as part of my overall Physical Therapy (Land/Water) treatments.
    That lasted about 9 months. The Rehab center I go to has a therapeutic pool 3 feet to a maximum of 4.5 and
    heated to 92 degrees.

Those treatments helped me alot. Initially, those treatments were tougher than normal land treatments. I had just figured, what could be so hard about doing things in the water? I was wrong. But after a few weeks I could see the help it was giving me.

It consisted of
    - Stretching
    - Walking
    - Paddles - for upper body strengthening
    - Noodles for various exercises

I was so pleased with the results, that after the therapy part was finished, I signed on to the center as an Independent. Basically the only difference was in therapy you had a therapist one on one. As an Independent you were overseen by
    a qualified technician.

I still go to this pool at least twice a week
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi, I'm experimenting daily with aqua therapy now. I joined a Y with a pool and a whirlpool. I'm undergoing Prolo so I use the whirlpool a lot by having the jets pound my lumbar. This gets the blood flowing to help the healing. The pool I use for swimming and some exercises however I've found that walking in the pool triggers my leg pain.
    Overall I think it has helped, only 3 weeks into it,
    I plan to continue.
    Good luck

• Wishing you great success with your aqua therapy.

I had a couple of set-backs at first, as I went full force being in the water again.

Take things slow and know that you can continually increase your time in the pool, in addition to the exercises.

I, too, will be anxious to hear how you do.

Best wishes,

• I did Aqua therapy with my PT and did well until I took off the flotation belt and over stretched my leg bringing it straight up and straight back in the water. I haven't been back to the pool yet but hope to go again one day. But before this set back was doing well. Take it easy as it feels so free while in the water. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i truely hope the therapy helps you and gives you some pain relief.. i love to get into the pool and find it so relaxing and a time to be really "pain free!" be sure and follow the orders of your doctor or whoever is leading you in the therapy!! good luck and let us know how you do!! Jenny :)
  • Hello everyone. I just started aqua therapy (in addition to the aqua aerobics classes that I was already doing). After my first session, I was sore the next day, so I called the PM clinic and set up another SI injection. Hopefully, the aqua therapy will get a little less painful as I go on.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    I remember my first session. That night and the next two days, I was hurting and so sore. I wanted to call my doctor to tell them Aqua therapy does not work!

After about the 4 session, I felt the positive effects it had. One thing to keep in mind, drink a lot of water after you finish your aqua-therapy
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • in two weeks. I am looking forward to it because I think the water will help support me while I'm doing my exercises.

Anyway, I'm feeling positive about the sessions. I've been told they will be once a week for 6-8 weeks. I have already bought a new cossie and am totally prepared - but after reading your posts, I hope it doesn't hurt afterwards as I'll be back at work (on a phased return) by then. I hope my employers will give me the time off to attend them!

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • My doc has been pushing aqua therapy for over a year now...I went and had a consult a few months back and boy, did I want to jump in right away and get started. Unfortunately, at the time, we could not afford all the copays that went along with it. I am going to go back to this very place in the near future as I was awarded SSD and this was first thing on my list! I can't wait. Please everyone keep posting your journey with aqua therapy! I am anxious to know how it pans out for each of you!
This discussion has been closed.