Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year checkup... good and bad?

DIFerrisDDIFerris Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

I had my one year checkup this month. Thought I would pop on and let you all know how it went.

The good: Doc says my back is healed. I am totally fused and don't need him anymore unless something comes up. Yay for that (and I mean YAY!!)!

The bad? I still cannot sit for any length of time, and it does not take much to overdo it and start hurting. Sitting for even just a little too long puts me in pain.

I say "bad" with a question mark, because while I have some pretty harsh limitations, I am no longer in the horrible pain I was in pre-op, so I say limitations I can deal with!

All in all, I feel the surgery was a complete success and (of course) I would do it again in a heart beat. Better to have a great life with some limitations than no life in unbearable pain.

I have given up on thinking I will be able to return to the type of work I did previously. I have always worked with computers in some capacity or other. I can no longer lug servers around (that has been some time) so I had "retired" from network administration. I went into other areas of IT work, which required me to sit for extended periods of time at a computer, and now I can no longer do that.

Soooo, I went back to college this semester, hoping to get into yet another field, Graphic Design. I will still always work with computers, but I am hoping to do this free lance so I can set my own pace. I must say that returning to college has given me a new lease on life. Being stuck at home for so long really wore on my sanity. I started to feel useless because of my disability. I no longer feel that way.

I still take some medications, but for the most part I do not take any narcotic pain medication unless I get stupid and really overdo it. I suppose I will have to watch it the rest of my life, but like I said, that is really a small trade off... I am 100% better!!

I wish you all success in your recoveries. I know what you are going through (all stages of it!).

Love and prayers,

• :H I am so glad to rad your post as someone who is waiting toget surgery later this year. It is rough that you need to get into another field but it sound likes you have a solid plan (and fun) in place. Good luck with school and thank you again for posting.

• That is great news! I am so glad that you are fused and fully healed.
    That is what us fusion spineys long to hear.

Glad that you are enjoying college and wish you well in your 'new improved' life. :-)
  • I was so happy when the Dr told me that I was fused. I told him that it was nice to meet you but I hope to never see you again! We just laughed.
    Right after that appointment was when I started my PT. I was only in it for 6 weeks but that helped me out so much. It has been over 2 years since my surgery and I still know when I have overdone it but it is so much better than before. You have a lot to look forward to. I too worked in labs with systems so my manager moved me to a less physical job and gave me a cube with a desk that moves up and down so that I can stand when I need to. I miss the physical work but don't miss the pain.
    I wish you luck in Graphic Design and again CONGRATs!!! Its time to celebrate!!!
  • Thanks so much for the comments. I wish everyone a good and speedy recovery. It is a LONG road, and easy to get depressed as months go by and you think you are never going to be better, but then one day you realize you are so much better than before. I realized it is all relative!

Love and best wishes,