Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have Fusion for Foraminal Stenosis and DDD?

Liz49LLiz49 Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for L4/5 fusion on 9/29/10. Has anyone had PLIF or TLIF for foraminal stenosis, caused by DDD? If so, what type of results have you experienced?

I'm so very scared. I know the pain will be awful. The nurse told me today all they give once I leave the hospital is Darvocet. Is this common for a fusion?

• Hiya Liz, :D not sure, as i have not had a fusion! Just to say , wishing you well with having that done, and a good recovery! >:D<

Angie :H
  • I had a TLIF 1 1/2 ago.
    The first week home was really tough.
    My dr sent me home with
    and Tramadol.
    I slept most of the first week.
    The first week wa the worst. Major pain just to walk to the bathroom.
    I had major adhesions on my nerves and the dr had to remove all of it causing major nerve irritation.
    It is VERY helpful if you can have someone there with you for the first 2 weeks.
    I had my MIL with me and I wouldnt have made it without her.
    I wouldn't be real comfortable about only getting Darvocet after words. That might be affective after the first 2 weeks but maybe he should give you something stronger depending on your pain level afterwords. Who knows you might not need it.
    Good luck!!
  • Hi Liz,

I had forminal/lateral stenosis, DDD, facet/ligament hypertrophy, bone spurs & started to self-fuse @ L5-S1. See this recent post (#18) for an accounting of my experience http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/has-anyone-here-have-minimally-invasive-spinal-fusion. IMO, Darvocet wouldn't offer the best possibility of pain relief on it's own - I've been given it recently for an ambulatory biopsy procedure which is nothing compared to spine surgery. It might be worth asking your surgeon about post-op pain relief both in hospital and when you're released.

Please keep us posted,

• Thank you all three for your responses. Why did you have the surgery, tammyp? I don't think you said. I am afraid that this won't be enough pain med. I'll insist, I promise, for something stronger.

Good luck with your recoveries. I'm glad it's going well for you, both Tammy and pfd.

• I had grade 2 spondylolitheses, spina bifada, scoliosis, occulta, severe trans foraminal stenosis and years of scar tissue that had wrapped around the nerves.
    Had a TLIF done.
  • Oh, Tammy, you've been through a lot! Are you feeling better since the surgery? I'm glad your MIL was able to help you. My husband is taking off 1 week and will work from home the 2nd week. I have kids ages 9 and 14. I worry about them and feel so bad that I won't be able to care for them for quite some time.
  • Don't worry about your kids they are at a good age to take on some responsibility. And you will be suprised at how helpful they can be.
    I am still having problems but I went so long undiagnosed that alot of damage was done. I actually felt really good at about 4 months and started having other issues at around 8 months.
    I wish you all the best and keep us posted on your recovery.
  • Hi Liz,

Just wanted you to know you'll be in my thoughts & prayers on the 29th, hope that your surgery is uneventful and you'll soon be on the road to recovery.

Please let us know how you're doing when you can.