Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI, Somewhere I read about Miralax and told to get this med as I would not have a Bowel Movement in quite sometime. I;m beginning to worry cuz I bought the Miralax last night, used it twice and twice today so far and it hasn't helped. The last BM i had was on Mon 9-20,just before the surgery....does this all sound normal? I havent eaten a great deal either, but I starting to worry that perhaps there's a blockage of some sort...any suggestions?

• This is normal since anethesia from surgery slows your GI track down..so does narcotic pain medication and being immobile. I suggest drinking a lot of water and trying to get up and walk in small amts.
    Are you a coffee drinker? It also naturally gets the GI track to move.
    Sounds like a classic case of constipation to me. Don't get too worried just yet. Like you said..you haven't taken much in.
    But if it continues and you start having a distended abdomen and severe pain then I would get worried.
    Constipation can cause cramps too.
  • a stool softener as well as Milk of Magnesia. I have recently started Metamucil so far one teaspoon daily in a glass of water but shouldn't be taken while you are not having a BM in 4-5 days. Drink lots of water and if you take little walks it may help. After 5 days I would take a fleet enema. However just having surgery I would contact the Dr. Hope things get back to normal. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It also depends on what is normal for you. 4 days for me would be NO BIG DEAL. For others it would be a nightmare.

Mirolax doesn't always work overnite. I think, if I am not mistaken, it can take up to 72 hours. I am not sure that doubling up on the dose will make that big of a difference either but I would certainly keep taking it daily until I had a BM.

As everyone has said, it is normal to have this problem after surgery AND WHILE on narcotics.

my doctor recommends I take a stool softner daily (Like Mirolax) and a laxative TO "turn ON the bowel" as narcotics will often turn them OFF. (Please contact your doctor for his advice though.)

As far as the other advice you have been give, I was told the same. Water and walk and don't worry about a blockage unless you have extreme pain and an extended abdomen.

• You are not alone. I had to do the bowel prep pre-surgery, so I didn't miss it at all!

I had good luck using the suppositories, but those come with their own sets of problems.

Hang in there. Hope things start falling into place for you!!! B)
  • I didn't go for 11 days after my fusion surgery!!! Did the Miralax thing and had doctors scratching their heads. Try some fresh fruit. Hang in there!

I talk about it in my surgery blog:

• but it WILL work. I used a combination of colace and Benefiber. Just keep taking it regularly and you'll get back to being regular.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I have the joy of being either or- either I don't go, or if I take anything, I get horribly sick and can't stop. Even Miralax- last time I took it I was sick for 4 days. And I took Dulcolax once... shudder. I thought I'd never get well!

• Ever heard of a brown cow?

It works.

Apparently this handy little concoction is very useful if you've got some slow to non-moving post-op bowels.

1 dose Milk of Magnesia
    1 small can Prune Juice

Heat juice in microwaveable cup.
    Add Milk of Magnesia.

It tasted like warm raisins. I tolerated it despite my dislike of raisins and prunes. I thought is almost tasted like there was some chocolate milk in there too. Later I found out that there wasn't.
  • try an enema, if nothing else works (but as always, check with your doctor or nurse practioner first). It was the only thing that got me going again after my ALIF, where they move the bowels around to get to the spine (a lovely image, but that's the reality).
    It's best to get things moving soonest because you don't want to be compacted, of course. A simple over-the-counter water enema can work wonders.
    Docusate sodium and Senokot-S also help. But as usual, check with your doctor first.
    Good luck.