Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Epidural

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 969
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Can anyone tell me if they have experienced an epidural on the neck for pain????? :? :SS

Thankyou in advance :D
advertisement

Comments

• I have had two done recently and I am going in for another one this Monday. So far no relief from the spasms but my PM doctor is going in on a lower level where I had my ACDF. Hope it works this time. Are you getting one?
  • I have had 3 as well, but I never got relief from those...sorry...I really hope you do.
  • Ditto here! Before my first fusion (C5/6) my NS had me get a series of 3. No relief from them for me. Because of that, when my C6/7 went, he didn't have me go through them again. I hope you fare better! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thankyou to all for your input :D ! (aggienick) Yes i have to have an epidural for neck pain :SS , but before i have that done he wants me to have another session of facet joint injections :? , he wants me to have these first then two months after he wants me to have the epidural in the neck :S (can anyone say what it feels like after having these done??? :?

Angie xx
  • Claudia, I have had two epidurals done for cervical pain as well as facet injections. Unfortunately, I didn't have relief from either procedure. One epidural was done prior to my surgery (c5 through c7) and since I experienced zero relief, my neurosurgeon chose not to do another. She said that if I had even had 40% relief, she would have chosen to do another two weeks later and perhaps even a third. I also had another one done in the year after my surgery, but again, no relief. My neurosurgeon will only do epidural procedures on an outpatient basis, so I went to the hospital two hours prior to the procedure and was given some kind of mild sedative through iv. I was completely awake while it was being done but didn't have any discomfort. Stayed in recovery for about an hour, then was discharged with the order to rest all day following the procedure. I think that is to give the steroid the opportunity to work on the area it was injected. I always have taken that order very seriously, but still didn't get any relief. On a positive note, I have several friends who did get tremendous relief from epidurals so I hope you will be one of those. Other than my normal pain, I didn't have any discomfort following the injection.
    Hope this helps.
  • I had my third esi yesterday. This time he went in at a lower level were my fusion was done. My neck feels a little better but I still have a shaky left arm. After two of the shots I felt naseous for a few days and my face felt flushed. After this last shot I have not had any side effects except the shaky arm which I already had. The process itself was very easy for me except fasting till 4 Pm which really sucked. Hoping for relief of the spasms after this last one.
  • Angie, I have no neck issues but was so happy to see you post. Haven't seen you in forever. Do you have a Facebook account? Would love to catch up with you. Hugs, Cynthia
  • Aww >:D< , thankyou for your reply, Wishing you well during your recovery O:) . I have had epidurals for pain before but that was for lower back pain L4/L5 S1 area :( , i was sore and in pain afterwards :S , when i asked the doctor if it was normal to feel as much pain as i did, he said its a normal thing to have discomfort :? , but not the pain that i was in :''( , he said, damaged scar tissue can give you alot of pain :O , i didnt know that as i thought that damaged scar tissue was dead tissue! :B i am due facet joint injections first :SS then 2 months after he wants to do the epidural in the neck :S .

Angie xx :H
  • Hiya, i have sent you a PM :D

Angie x :H
  • i did get some relife from a trigger shot twice but never from a epidural.had 3 done on my neck & maybe 9 on my back.
  • Hiya >:D< Thankyou for your reply.I have never heard of trigger shot, what is that???? :?

Angie :H
  • Angie,
    Trigger points are more local they are aimed at hitting the tissue that you can generally feel all not up and when you press on them generally are tender to the touch. They can hit many spots at one time. I have had them hit as many as 6 spots at a time. After the injections typically a good idea to get a massage and work the medicine in. It something that really helps with the muscle spasms.

As far as a epidural, I have had them as well. Basically was rather easy when I did it. They did require a driver in case they need to give you something. But I have never taken any type of sedation or medicine for any injections the epidurals, selective nerve root blocks or facet injections be it lumbar or cervical. As far as the pain from the injection itself was really a non issue. I wouldn't say it was a walk in the park, but it is not to bad at all. Now wether you get relief from the injection is anyone's guess. I have seen so many come here and get a injection and they are off and running again. You know the drill once someone gets relief and are out and about and busy again, we don't hear to much from them again. Good luck on the injections and lets hope this works for you.
  • Hiya, thankyou for your reply. You mention trigger points, these days i have so many, this pain some days gets so bad, i struggle to walk, the pain is in my lumbar area, creeping up into my soine and neck, down my arms, right side is worse, in my hips, knees, bottom of my left foot, my fingers. I have days where i dont know what to do with myself. I am waiting for a scan of my knees and hands , as ive been told i have arthritus, but they need to identify which kind, my fingers and knuckles are staring to disfigure. thye rheumotologist said he wants to identify the arthritus bacause he can not try me out on different medication for this as i take quite alot for my back , so he wants to put me on the correct tablet for this without to much disturbance to my other meds.

Angie x
  • O:) I had the series of three, it helped for 2 years w/c5 and c6. Then the big one happened, I lost 4, 5, 6, and 7 and to surgery I went. I have read pros and cons. For me personally, it gave me two more years working and having a normal life. Now, things are different. Now, I have steriod injections in the skull area, now that was gross. I could hear the stuff in the needle making a lot of gooey noise going up my head. I was able to turn a lil more than I could before, now...well back to normal which is abnormal. My mobility is not good and I can't drive. So I am now Driving Miss Daisy at 46. :) Good Luck, lots of prayers your way. @)
  • Hiya :H Does anyone know anything about scar tissue damage? :? My PM doctor said he can not do an epidural on my back because the scar tissue is so damaged that the medicine will not get through and will not help for the pain! :B So he said the route to go is facet joint injections again and an epidural for my neck pain(i get alot of headaches, with my neck and back pain, the only time i suffered with these types of headaches, was after i had a disctectomy, i feel like ive been hit on the back of the head, then it rides up and over like a blanket of pain)On the MRI the surgeon said my back looks agrivated, and he said he can see that i have the pain that i say i have. He said once the agrivation calms down, my back will seize up, and then my mobility will be restricted, only then can the surgeons help me. Can anyone advise me about scar tissue damage ? I am in constant pain, i am scared, to lose what mobility i do have.Sorry for having a moan, but this pain is dragging me down >:D<

• Hiya >:D< That sounds gross, i must say /:) I have to say i am not looking forward to the epidural in my neck. Every time i have had either an epidural of my back or facet joint injections i sleep for a week or so after, i dont know why this is, i put it down to being in so much pain and fighting it day after day, this just drains all your energy. sorry for your pain, and thankyou for your reply >:D<

advertisement