Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 fusion surgery experiences

lynchpinllynchpin Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all.

Looking for a place to both look for information and share my experiences so far.

I was born with congenital spinal fusion which was treated with additional fusion when I was 7 years old (multiple levels). The operation left me one good lumbar disc, the L5-S1 disc, which putting up with all the abuse of the fused segments above it, started to fail in around 2004.

It started with pain and mild sciatica. Eventually I had a bad episode with a disc bulge where I was pretty much housebound for 2-3 months due to the pain and sciatica. I saw a surgeon, but as my symptoms were improving they didn't want to operate.

Over the next 6 years I had intermittent bouts of pain and other symptoms, which I addressed with painkillers and anti-inflammatory medication as needed. Eventually I had a bulge which made my left leg a little numb, which I started to get over, but when things were looking good it suddenly got worse, and my left leg developed "drop foot" and walking was very difficult.

Anyways, I saw a surgeon who wanted to perform another fusion on me - to be specific - "ALIF with anterior plate fixation L5-S1 and posteriolateral fusion L5-S1 with pedicle screw fixation and disc fragment excision". The degenerated disc also caused stenosis, which was also to be addressed by the fusion, as the carbon-fibre cage would increase the clearances in my back (one edge of the worn disc was only around 1mm thick).

Because of my prior operation/odd anatomy, the operation took 8 hours. I felt quite ill afterwards, a reaction to the anaesthesia, which took me around 3 days to get over.

They got me up to walk the day after the operation, just a staggered walk around the room, which increased over the 2 weeks I spent in hospital. Pain wasn't too bad, but it was definitely uncomfortable. I was on "digesic" in hospital after the initial morphine button, which I didn't use much. My drop foot was a little improved immediately due to the operation, but since then there's been little improvement and I still walk with a cane.

I experienced some level of pain almost constantly for 2 months after the operation. It changed in degrees; for example after waking up in the morning, I'd be almost pain free, but it'd build up over the course of the day to a dull ache at the fusion site.

(Sorry, this is getting long!)

I found that if I did something silly, like twist a little when my walking stick was falling, I'd pay for it with 3 or so days of significantly worse pain.

I turned a corner 3 days ago, around two months after the operation, and I'm almost off the pain pills (down to 2 in the morning, instead of 6 per day). It's been long coming, and a huge morale boost. To anyone else having a long road, hang in there.

I still have a ways to go yet; I'd love for my leg to be 100%, but I've been told it could take 2 years due to the degree of nerve compression. Fingers crossed I get the result I'm after. I have xrays coming up to see how the implants are sitting, but I won't know how the bone growth itself is going until around the 5-6 month mark, when I'll have an MRI. If I have a nonunion I'll be gutted, so here's hoping.

Thanks for the time! I hope this information helps someone. To those considering it, I'd say search for a doctor who has a good reputation. I did, and I never had a lapse in confidence in him, even though I still have a long road ahead of me.

I've searched a variety of fusion forums all over the web and it's shocking how many people have surgeries with doctors, have complications, and then have immense difficulty in getting follow up appraisal/treatment.

Best of luck.

• So good that you've turned the corner now and down to only two pain pills.

I hope the rest of your recovery goes well and that L5-S1 fuses by the time you get your next MRI done.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's encouraging to read about surgeries which go well. Recovery is certainly a difficult time and I'm so thankful to our forum for all the good information on how to cope.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008