Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone use a stimulant?

charryccharry Posts: 5,652
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Chronic Pain
I've had my regular blood works done and everything is fine. The problem is I have no energy to do anything. Not to fold clothes or tidy up or read or anything. I'm on Wellbutrin and Cymbalta so don't think it's depression. I have no stamina at all. I read an article on weaker physically people not living as long as others and concerned I need a stimulant to get me moving. I have back pain all the time and take pain medications so wonder if these medications are dragging me down. At times I'm able to do light dishes or steam mop the floor. I'm going to let my Dr. know how I feel and see if she can help maybe short term Provigil or something. Does anyone take or have taken something to help? Thanks.
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement

Comments

• I can totally relate.

I have been exhausted for the last several months. My PCP checked my Thyroid and had put me on 75 mg of synthroid in May. I tried that for 90 days and my levels were up to an exceptable range but still felt exhausted. She upped me to 100 mg about 25 days ago and I am finally feeling a little better. I think now that I am sleeping (thanks to Ambien) it has also contributed to my feeling better.

I am sure my pain meds are not helping and I am on pretty mild meds compared to you. During the work week I am only taking them after I know I am home for the day (I drive a lot but work based from home). I don't drink a lot of coffee since my stomach doesn't like it. On days that I must be supper productive I get myself a diet rockstar and sip on that all day (I know it is bad for me but what am I going to do) usually I drink green tea. My PCP gave me a script for phentermine to help with my weight loss (tried it one day and I was super sick). I have lost a total of 32# with just taking Topamax and eating less so I am just going to stick with.

I am starting with PM soon so things my change for me. God forbid I start feeling worse than I do now ;))

Drink more water, get plenty of lean protein, healthy fats and fruits/vegis and rest (you know the drill).

Hang in there >:D<

Julie
  • I take Nuvigil...the updated version os provigil. I do think it helps for alertness...such as when we go to church and I've just taken my pain meds, I am not drowsy...but I can't say that it gives me energy...at least I haven't ever thought about it that way. I'm a very lethargic person too...I just started wellbutrin yet again to try to pick me up...low energy and mild situational depression I'd say. It's hard for me to wake up in the am's...so when I have to, my hubby brings me my wellbutrin, Nuvigil and pain meds about 30 minutes before I really need to get up. That helps a little bit. I like the Nuvigil. So, I'd say it helps, but I don't think it provides a lot of energy.

You know, if I don't take my pain meds, I notice I am dragging...I don't know if that is the case for anyone else. But, usually once I take my pain meds, it wakes me up a bit too.

Do you get enough sleep at night? I think that's half my battle...but I'm just a low energy person. I hate that lethargic feeling!
  • I can't imagine why we would have much energy, our bodies spend so much of it battling pain all day :( Honestly, doesn't anybody else notice the difference on a good pain day vs. bad pain day, energy-wise? I notice a HUGE difference.

I do not take anything except cymbalta. I feel generally unwell much of the time, and most of my doctors have acknowledged that this is not abnormal for CP sufferers. Just the reduced activity level for me is a huge hit- I want to be able to do things but can't, and physically am deconditioned because of that. That has to be a big cause of the low energy level.

How is your diet, Charry? Are you eating super well? I do find that cutting out most refined sugars, eating whole grains exclusively, no sat-fats, etc is a benefit. Of course I am supposed to be doing this anyway for my high cholesterol but it def. makes me feel better as well.
  • Yes I do have a good diet and eat all ground foods, vegetables & fruits mainly and eat nothing from a can except carnation milk for morning coffee. I just started back with whey protein my brother got for me from GNC with 33 mg protein and feel it's helping. As for sleep I need a sleeping pill or I'm up all night and I used to work full time nights for years and had to switch to full time evenings at my job for 3 years before I fell ill with my back and leg injury 2.7 years ago.

When I had a cleaner come in or my Mom to help fold clothes etc. I promised to never let it get like that again. Looks like I need help again!

Yes I'm sure the meds pain and sleeping pill don't help with energy levels. I think I'll keep doing the protein drink and see how I do and next time I go to the Dr. if I'm still feeling this way I'll ask her what to do. I was even at a point where I find no energy to bathe daily but now feeling a little better. I used to be so strong and was able to live an active lifestyle. Chronic pain is just awful. I appreciate the support. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Glad to hear that your brother brought over the protein shake. I drink one each day and although I don't know if it helps my energy... I do know that it is good for us to take.

Do you take a multivitamin/mineral each day? I'm wondering if that might help. It does take a couple of weeks for those to build-up in your system, but there might be something in a multivitamin/mineral supplement which might increase your energy.

Coffee? I drink a couple of cups of that each morning and the rest of the time it's water (just like you).

I know you have a healthy diet, as I always follow your diet advice! Cutting portions and drinking lots of water is really important.

You said you just had bloodwork done and everything came back okay. Good to hear. I tend to run anemic for whatever reason (I have always had a healthy diet), something to due with my absorption, so I have sublinqual B12 drops I take if I start to feel overly tired. You might want to call and ask your doctor if you could take a B complex vitamin, to see if it would help your fatigue?

Other than the above, I can't think of anything else right now.

If I do, I'll be sure to post.

Wishing you more energy from the protein shake,

Tammy
  • I think it's just this crazy spiral we are in. We feel pain so we rest, we rest and lose muscle tone, we lose muscle tone and can do less, so we over do to get something done and feel more pain.

Some days are a real challenge. This morning I just vegged in front of the computer. Around 11 I physically dragged myself to the shower and set some goals for the day. After a quick trip to the store I came back home. Three small loads of laundry were pretty easy. Now the ironing is still there. Hopefully I can get that done before bed.

Now this seems like a very productive day for me. But when I think back to what I used to get done on a Sunday I feel like crying.
  • When I think about ironing, I cry!
  • it's funny, before i found the wonderful doctor i have now...i went to this one gp guy and i had been on ambien for years...always had a sleeping problem for as long as i can remember...since i had my kids. well, i had heard of provigil and i was c/o low energy then and he checked my thyroid and such things but he said "I'm not going to knock you out at night with ambien and then hype you up in the am with provigil". In reality, he was right...I agreed with him and I stuck to ambien to get my nights sleep. But as the chronic pain is such a different issue and so many meds we take drag us down, i guess my doc now was just trying to offer something to pick me up and i respect him for that as well.

oh well...to each his own...
  • When I feel good, I have energy. When I have pain, I am dragging. I don't think we can feel bad and have energy, not really.

I do take a multi vitamin and if I take B-12, I get energy. However, when I need to take a nap to rest my neck and back, I am unable to.

So if you do try B-12, I will suggest taking 1/2 to see how it affects you.

Good luck :)
  • Hiya >:D< , How long does i take for vitamins to take affect?? :?

Angie :H
  • Charry:
    I started B12 injections sometime ago amd they really help with my energy level. I get one every month now and would not be without them.
    They also stopped my hair from falling out. My hair had started falling out and I was franic. It had become very thin. Now my hair is thick and full again.
    It took a very expencive blood test to show my B12 was low. It was over $1,000.00!! The blood test at my PCP's office showed my B12 was fine. I had my report from the other test with me to show it was indeed low and they suggested I start the injections. Thank goodness I had that report or I would now be bald and very tired all the time.
    Patsy W
  • happyHBmom said:
    I can't imagine why we would have much energy, our bodies spend so much of it battling pain all day :( Honestly, doesn't anybody else notice the difference on a good pain day vs. bad pain day, energy-wise? I notice a HUGE difference.
    I agree with this statement a 110%. I am glad to see I am not the only one though.
    I know in my case it is partly because I don't sleep right. Laying down worsens my pain so much I avoid it till I'm exhausted. Then when I do go to sleep I sleep so hard in one position that I wake up 3 or 4 hours in terrible pain, so I take extra pain meds and get sleepy again. This viscious cycle continues for about 3 or 4 days till i collapse in exhaustion and sleep for about 14hrs straight. After that I usually have a couple of good days then the cycle begins again rrrrr :( .
    My wife works really long hours and since my condition makes me unable to work I have assumed the role of housekeeper( yes Mr mom). She doesn't expect anything from me but I feel real bad when I don't have the energy to get much done. I'll tell I got the dishes washed, the bed made and vacuumed and I am exhausted. To wich she always responds your so awessome. When I hear the words come out my mouth I think I sound so pathetic but, she does her best to ALWAYS make me feel better.
    I know this is long but what I am trying to say is the support structure is so important on getting through this. And, you guys are now a big part of my support structure. So when you're feeling puny it's ok to lean on your friends. :)
  • Chiropractic is a health care discipline and profession that emphasizes diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine, under the hypothesis that these disorders affect general health via the nervous system It is generally categorized as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)

URL's Removed
    EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator Dave

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.