Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just starting to look into

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I am just starting to look into disability. I have been reading through the threads. Wow, you people are brave. It is so scary. The thought of giving up my job and being disabled has me freaking out a little bit.

Is there any advice or websites with instructions?

• Yups it kinda scary.
    It's a big step.
    We're not suppose to give out websites, i dont think. So google Disability Secrets, and some good websites will pop up, they are good reading to let you know what to expect.
    I can p.m. you a couple if you want.

Good luck.
  • Jim nailed *the best site* to 'find' via Google! As to the disability side of the house. The hard part is admitting you are getting or are there, and then it really hits when you start the application process. You also get a smack emotionally when it is finally approved "disability retirement - Approved". It is a bitter sweet one of those moments...cuz now it is in writing, and official?

I retired under federal disability retirement via FERS. SSDI is included within the annuity for it. We are here for you Julie. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • you have to either be out of work a year or be expected to be out at least of year to qualify.

You are more than welcome to PM me with any questions...I was just approved. I did use an attorney, which I'd recommend...but others have done it by themselves and saved the money...so it's personal preference.

It is a lot of paperwork. And it can take a while to get approved.
  • Hi Julie, I'm getting close to the point of having to look into this. I thought (and could be wrong) that you have to be out of work for 5 months with the expectation of long term disability.

Look for the Social Security Admin website for the facts. I would be careful about the sites that offer tips and tricks because who knows what is real or not.

I know if I get to filing it will be with a law firm. THis is one thing I can't afford to screw up.

Good Luck looking. I think the hardest part is admitting to yourself that you are disabled.
  • Brenda and Kris are right, the part of admitting to it is the hardest emotionally.
    Then doing the paperwork online is the hardest mentally.

Brenda, i know what you mean.
    If and when i get approved i wont know whether to laugh or cry. Probably both but after the checks start coming then it will be time to relax.

Also read the faq's on the SS website, lotta good info.
    i agree with getting a lawyer too, you want someone on your side.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    In order to qualify you must be out of work five full calendar months, or have severe work income reduction due to disability that meets SS's guidelines. They don't encourage everyone to apply at 5 months as the expectation is that you are out of work 5 full calendar months and that your disability will last one full year or longer. So if you have STD and LTD through your employer, the LTD company will encourage you to apply for SSDI when you have been out of work for one full year. When SS receives applications before that for non-terminal conditions they often lead to quick denials as they are not sure it will last a full year or be permanently disabling
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks- I read 5 month on the SSD website. I can't afford to do that so that's not going to happen for awhile.

I am still looking for an attorney for the MVA- maybe once I get one hired he/she will help me make heads & tails out of this mess.

Or maybe the PM md will help me so much I will feel like Super Woman again :)

I can always dream....

• I'm still wondering how I got turned down for STD and now got SSD...wierd.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084

All depends on what was in the records at the time. Some people go out and don't have enough medical information to substantiate STD but as time goes on they see more doctors and by the time they apply for SSDI there is a wealth of medical information. If you would have had LTD you may want to see if you can apply for that.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • you may be right with this one. I had been seeing my PM and saw a NS before I was asked to resign since I could no longer perform the duties of my job...this was after 3 medical leaves. But it was after that I found the doc that I know helped my get approved for SSD.