Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How lucky we really are

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Matters of the Heart
The last two nights here in the Danbury, CT have been beautiful.
Friday evening, we watched a strong lightening and thunder storm that lasted over an hour. The winds were really howling. My wife and I sat in chairs in our back yard and watched nature perform is best fireworks display! The sound, the lights and even the 'feel' of the air was exciting.

Then last night, we had so many stars, so clear, we felt we could almost reached up and grab one. We took a golf cart ride around our community, up and around the golf course and then down to the beach. The water was sparkling from all the stars in the sky.

So peaceful and so alive.

Later on that evening, I continued reading the book Great Hurricane 1938, by Cherie Burns. I love books about nature, but this one even more since it was talking about a tragic storm that hit Long Island .
( where I grew up) parts of Connecticut (where I now live) and Rhode Island (we we vacationed so many times)

The book chronicled the events leading up to the great hurricane of 1938 and the impacts it had on so many families. I was amazed as to how little media coverage was back then and because of this, so many people lost their lives. Over 700 people were killed in that Hurricane (which was a Category 5) Up until I started to read this book, I never even knew about this disaster. Part of the reason was that on Sept 19th, 1938, was the same time that Hitler and his troops invaded Czechoslovakia

Reading this book, seeing how in a matter of minutes, a person's life can be taken, how an entire family can be destroyed, or how everything someone owned could be gone in a blink of the eye.

During that tragic time, there were so many stories about courage and faith. Hhow being faced with the evils of nature . the loss of family, land, but still refusing to give up.

So much more....
While reading the book, I just kept saying to myself, how lucky I am to be alive.

Life is something we should always cherish, you never know when it can be taken away.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Thanks for that info on the hurricane and I read some excerpts from that book you're reading at amazon.com. Amazing that we have the technology now to see a hurricane coming thank goodness! And hope someday we have technology to tell when a tornado is coming..Have you see the movie The Perfect Storm? It was based on this hurricane I believe and a very sad story but mainly focused on the boat ride. There was another famous Hurricane Hazel that rode up the coast from NC and gathered strength over the great lakes and killed many in south eastern Ontario where I live. Life is precious. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Charry,

I was living with my grandmother when hurricane Camille hit us in Mobile Alabama - I was the ripe old age of 7. I remember as it started to hit, I was scared, and my grandmother tapped my shoulder and said "Dear, dear, it is a big thunderstorm. It won't hurt you, it's okay." 30 seconds later, that squeaking, creaking nasty noise as the roof came off....we ran to the bathroom, to the tub, and most of the rest of the house went. We awoke in that tub after she left. She was a level (cat) 5. Fast forward "Andrew", I was living in Jacksonville, and later transfered to Miami. Guys who went though it told me "I didn't have a clue." Oh yeah, I was 7, had NO CLUE and was almost killed by something I didn't understand, scuuuzzzz meee?

It is funny, even though I was scared out of my @ss, I didn't know then it could have killed me. But when co-workers relayed their "bath tub" Andrew stories, wow did that bring some memories back! The good part, I had no idea about money to repairs and contractors and things...so to me, I was a kid. But that horrible night, I no longer feared death, as I knew it could strike at any time. I've kept that even with this spine/surgery/recovery stuff. I know tomorrow could "not come", and I no longer dwell on it. I just make sure those left behind if the buttmunch creams me through an intersection, *I* paid for the service. :)

Aaahh the "Perfect Storm".. I remember following that track. I have in the past as an aviation instructor, taught meteorology, so that cluster of two storms caught my attention. I too have lived up there, so that brought a lot of inner thought into me. Funny how that works out. Hummm... Camille, David, Gloria, Katrina, Wilma...naw, don't need a book, been there, done that, have the (yet again) new roof to prove it!!! (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • while living in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico there was a terrible hurricane.. it tore up roads, the power lines were down, there was no water and no help from the government..we relied on water from our storage tanks and the swimming pool!! most travel was done by burro or horse or by boat.. it was definitely a time of adventure and very scary.. but we made it through and learned just how tuff we could be.. so when i sit in my nice little house i sometimes think back to that time when i layed in the bathtub and prayed for my life.. i know how quick life can change in an instant.. Jenny :)