Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Social security question help

kjkbnapierkkjkbnapier Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
Without going into great detail of why Im fileing for ssdi here is where I am at this point. filed for ssdi back in april of this year and just now getting to visit the appointed ssdi doctor. This is there doctor doing his evulation of me and my medical records and work history. he told me at the end of the meeting that he was approving the medical claime as 100% disabiled and that I should hear back from ssdi in about three weeks. Just curious how much weight there doc has when it comes to the decision ? Any advice would be great would be nice to hear from folks that have already been thru this process.

I keep hearing from others in small groups that there doc dont make the decision and that they deny almost everyone with or without there doctors advice.

• Sorry to say, they really don't carry much weight. Basically, they are paid to perform an evaluation and report their findings.

It is almost impossible for someone to spend, what - 15 minutes with you and determine whether or not you are disabled.

SSA looks at his report, but the decision is made based on the totality of the medical evidence in your disability file.

Usually SSA will order an evaluation if your records don't quite cover everything you've said makes you unable to work. Say for instance, you say you are a bit depressed but don't receive on-going treatment for depression - SSA will schedule a mental status evaluation to see exactly how your depression impacts your ability to perform your daily activities. Or, if you wear glasses but don't see an ophthalmologist regularly, or high blood pressure, or... well, you get the point.

It is true SSA does deny a huge percentage of claims, but that is because there is a huge percentage of frivilous claims - NOT SAYING YOURS IS ONE OF THOSE.

The people who have the least amount of trouble being approved are those over 50, with limited education and either no work history or have done heavy work and can no longer do heavy work.

But there's also that percentage who meet the requirements like a text book. Regardless of their age. So, it does happen.

Hope this helps.
  • I am not sure at this point if the claime will go thru the first time. The doctor seemed very encouraging so I have some hope. His exact words where you will be approved lol. I guess not coming from the ssdi office that dont mean a whole lot. Guess I will find out in a few weeks. But will hope and pray daily for a good outcome.