Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

failed back syndrome

yoopergirlyyoopergirl Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
after 5 major spine surgeries in 6 years (started with T8-S1 ant/post fusion am said to have "failed back syndrome" Am I ready for the glue factory?

• Welcome to Spine Health Youper Girl :)

Tell us about your self and your "failed" back surgery. Did all levels fail?

How are you feeling?

• you have been through a lot in a short time ,you now need to seek out pain management .are you in the uk ? if so i can give you the name of a few good surgeons and a very good spinal anesthesia /pain consultant .there are a few things you can try to help your pain .one of them being a good TENS unit the acticare is about the best .a good mattress and a recliner will help you too .you can't be in so much pain all the time its in humane
  • Nope you're not ready to be "put out to pasture" quite yet. The good thing is, that there are some excellent Pain Management strategies for those with Chronic Pain due to FBSS. When I reached the point where the docs were trying everything they could where I was act, then I got them to send me somewhere that my needs could be addressed. It took a lot of research and determination to make it past the stage of being fearful of having to live with so much pain for so many more years to come.

So don't give up, instead get focused. Focus on finding a way to get some much needed help. Regardless, we will always be here for ya.

• YG,
    I think you are brave and courageous in trying to seek improvement, and nobody could question your tenacity and endurance in using that positive attitude to improve yourself, the results are not always equal to the effort that we have given and although my own time has come to stop, does additional surgery bring us nearer our initial objective or just more pain.

Hope has to be balanced with realism, and the assessment of what is possible now, what are your options, as said if PM is the most appropriate then you could try that, anyone having this amount of surgery is capable of finding some benefit from PM and your positive attitude will get you far in improvement.

Take care and good luck.

• Hi all. I am 57 years old. Had to retire at 47 coz I couldn't lift, sit or stand for long periods. Bosses tried everything for me but finally I had to give in as they needed someone who could really do job.

I had scoliosis all life - with 68 degree curve wore milwaukee brace for 18 months. Went merrily (for the most part) on my way till I fell and destabilzed my spine, thus the T8-E1 anterior/posterior fusion after a year of being told "it was all in my head" I am sure most can relate to that diagnosis.

After 5th surgery I tried a tens unit and now have a drug pump that delivers morphine and baclofen (muscle relaxor) Last 2 years pain has really elevated and not getting much relief (have doubled amt of morphine).

I am in bed more often than not due to the extreme pain - when I get the 1-10 question, my reply is 11 most of time. Will it always be like thisS
  • One suggestion- although it is tempting to use off the charts numbers as a cry for help, remember that 10 is "the worst pain you've ever felt." Rather than going in each week and saying "11," which does not give the doctors any information to work with, try keeping a pain chart (there are several online sites that will keep one for you) or diary so that you actually have an idea what your pain level is on your current scale.

Because real pain ratings can help you manage your pain by finding out what makes that number go up and what makes it go down.

And just a piece of trivia- they have shut down the horse slaughter factories in the US (a.k.a. "glue factory") and you would have to go to Mexico. I hear those are nasty places (not Mexico, but the "glue factories" there), so really, I think you should pass on that option ;)
This discussion has been closed.