Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update after ozone injection

huhertohhuherto Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Hi everybody.

I am just updating on how my condition is evolved.

It has been three weeks since I had the ozone injection. Generally I've been ok. Some days I feel discomfort in my neck specially if I sit for a long time. Sometimes I feel like a needle in my wrist. It is not really painful, but the sensation is there.

I went back to do the elliptical yesterday, and today I am feeling very well. It doesn't hurt but I know the weakness is still there, I know that if I am not careful it can be bad again. I really think the elliptical helps a lot.

The doctor told me that my hernia is big, and I may need another injection in two or three months. I will worry about it when the time comes.

I've read in several forums that some studies say that there is no difference between people who had the fusion and people who didn't after 5 years. But I can't find any good references, to verify the claim and to understand what it means to me.

The acquaintance that also took the ozone injection is doing ok. He had two days of very intense pain some days after the injection. The pain seems to be caused by releasing the pressure in the nerve. But after that he is feeling much better and he is very happy. He is about 60 and unlike me he had been suffering for many years.

• Huherto, I was considering Ozone Therapy last yesr for my back and I chose my username because of this treatment. However I chose Prolotherapy instead because there was more research on it.

There are some doctors here in the U.S. that use Ozone Therapy but not many. I think it's great that you're trying something less invasive than surgery.
    Good luck and let us know how you do.

• Summary, I have been feeling very well after 9 months.

I was supposed to take a second injection after 4 months, but I didn't because I was having another unrelated problem. After that, I was feeling well so I just didn't think it was necessary.

Once in while, I feel that my neck is a little bit uncomfortable; I just try to change positions. So I am not completely cured, and I know it can come back. But I think it is much better to try conservative treatments before going for the surgery.
  • Thanx for the update Huherto.

Relying on various sources I have found on the internet, I have learned that following an intradiscal injection, complementary "paravertebral" injections are applied on the muscle tissue surrounding the spine instead of another intradiscal like the one you have undergone.

These are more simple procedures compared to the one you have undertaken. But as far as I have learned, one intradiscal one is inevitable. Over the internet, I have found ample data about the issue.

Many doctors in my country think ozone injection is mere "quacks and quackery" but considering the scientific data available, I do not believe this.

I have uploaded 2 pdf documents in 1 RAR file. I think they will be informative. here is the link:

By the way, what was the condition of your hernia? Bulging, protruded, extruded or sequestrated?

• Have you had an MRI scan to see the state of the disc.

I have just been diagnosed with 2 discs compressing my spinal cord and am wondering if ozone injections would be an option for me.

How many treatments have you had? It sounds like only one.

I haven't heard of this treatment before.

• One interesting thing is that despite the ampleness of the data about the procedure, it is very difficult to find people treated with it. Neither in forums nor elsewhere.
  • I had one injection in Sep 2, 2010.

I was supposed to have a second one after four months. But I didn't. I am still considering the second, but I am feeling well, so I have been postponing it.

Short answer, I only had one.

I had one MRI done before the operation. I haven't had one done after the operation. That may be a good idea. The doctor told me changes are difficult to see in the MRI. I think that for some people a small change of pressure in the nerve is enough to make you feel better.

One of the reasons I believe on this treatment is that your disc remains intact. If better procedures are found in the future, you still have a shot at them. I am 43, so I am hoping to see better procedures in the next 30 years.

• I have to check the written diagnostic. It must be somewhere at home.

Where are you from? I imagine most people in this forum are from the U.S. or Canada. May be there are other forums with European people. I have found better information about the procedure in Spanish than in English.
  • I'm from Ukraine. I reached this site while googling, hoping to find people with ozone treatment experience.

As you said, there is plenty of data in Spanish as well as in Italian. Unfortunately, I speak neither.

On the other hand, doctors in India are also practising it widely. They have publications in English and these may be useful.

I mailed to one of them called "Doctor's name removed" with my MRI image attached. He hasn't replied yet. He has a website, and you can find it through google.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Hey I hate surgery as much (if not more) than the next guy but .....

I'm stayin away from all knives, needles, etc. for a while!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I am just making an update after 5 years.

I only had one injection.  The doctor told me to have two but I didn't really feel I needed the second one. So I didn't want to risk it.

It worked out very well for me. I have totally forgotten about this. I haven't had any adverse effects.

It is difficult to say if it was the injection that helped. Given the coincidence on times it would seem that way.

Also, we don't know how safe this is. It certainly seemed safer than surgery to me. I feel that much more research should be done given how many people suffer from herniated discs.

In summary.   I feel it worked great. 

This discussion has been closed.