Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain with MRI

firematt1ffirematt1 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Lower Back Pain
Have had back pain for quite some time and now have numbness in foot. MRI in below. Any information or comments on this MRI and treatments would be greatly appriciated.

At l5-s1 there is moderatley diminished disc height and signal. There is a contained disc extrusion at this level which impresses upon the anterior thecal sac and right sided foramen. This contained fragment measures 7mm ap diameter x 15 mm transverse diameter x 8 mm in height. This moderately encroches upon the right sided foramen and partially on the left. The AP diameter of canal at this level measures greater than 9 mm.

Impression: Contained focal disc extrusion at the l5 - s1 level and mild narrowing of the spinal canal and effacement of foramen. Right greater than left.

Thanks in advance for the help and comments.

• I wouldn't even begin to try and explain it to you because I'm just not qualified to do so and know that there's a good chance that I will interpret some of the terminology incorrectly.

I think the best comment I can make is that if you don't understand the results, are you able to ask the consultant radiographer for a more simplified explanation? Perhaps you could phone/email his secretary? Have they suggested any further tests (for example, a Discogram to determine if the L5-S1 disc is a pain generator or not)?

I'm sorry that I'm not very helpful - perhaps other members will have more informative comments to give you.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • You need to go to a nero dr and have a EMG done that will tell you more of what is gone go with you foot, my husband had the some thing you have
  • You should have a neurologist or orthopedist who is board certified interpret that for you and give you a recommendation. Only a trained physician can tell you whether those specific defects are the cause of your pain and numbness.

Often, people have pain and numbness. They get an MRI and it has some defect on it and they say AH-HA! But then, it turns out that the pain and whatever was found on the MRI are unrelated. So, that's why doctors are required. We weekend MRI readers tend to make a LOT of mistakes, and carry no malpractice insurance ;)
  • I agree with all of the above comments. Have an appointment set up with a neuro to find out more just thought I would throw results on here and see if anyone had and comments or thoughts, sometimes the unexperieced people that have had the same issues can tell you more than the doctors can or at the least put the information so its understood. Thanks again.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I know it's difficult to wait to talk to the doctor regarding the results of an MRI or CT scan, but like it's been said, none of us is qualified to read your results or give you interpretations. It's really in your best interest.

The only thing I can comment on are the key words Mild, Moderate and Severe.

Mild usually means it can be treated with conservative treatments.

Moderate usually means it can be treated with more aggressive conservative treatments, but that's not a given and it depends on what the doctor sees as to the course of action.

Severe is what we don't want to see on an MRI. That usually cannot be treated with conservative measures, although it will probably be tried first before surgical intervention.

Please keep us posted on what your doc says. It could be a learning experience for us.

• Sounds like the exact diagnosis of my MRI. The MRI cannot show everything, I discovered, after having mine, that the real definitive test is the Discogram with CT. This showed a ruptured disc with the pulpous extruding into the spinal canal, it looked like oil running down the spinal column. I had a anterior L5/S1 fusion in January of this year. The symptoms you describe point to this. The pulpous, or center jelly substance in the disc extrudes into the nerve roots,and lessens disc height which can also press on the nerve bundles. This is likely causing your radicular pain. I was told there is no effective treatment for this other than to remove it. I got not only a second opinion but also a third. More on my story in a separate thread.
This discussion has been closed.