Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck issues.....

nurseaannurseaa Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey my fellow spineys! i have a question for anyone who has had an ACDf. Ever since i had the surgery on C5-C6(as soon as i woke up in recovery) my neck or T1T2 area has been absolutely killin me. It goes from basic pain 6-7 when i just lay around to a 10 when i try to do basic everyday things. everything from turnin my head and feeling a nerve pinch and stopping me in my tracks to a severe!! severe!! burning pain.Also headaches in the occipital area. They are doin another mri on the 30th and i am freaked out cuz this pain is worse than it was before i had surgery. Anybody have the same thing happen or any suggestions cuz my doc acts like i am full of crap? i am at the end of my rope and any response will be very helpful.

• I have had surgery and had pain at the base of my neck. Most of what i got from the ACDF was muscle spasms. Do you have a good muscle relaxer on board and have you tried any massage therapy? Now on my posterior surgery I had some issues but it was a moving Rod, that had to come out. But one thing I have learned is never under estimate the power of the muscles spasms. Hopefully your upcoming MRi will lend some answers as to why you have so much pain. Keep us posted as to what you find out.
  • Nurseaa,

My first fusion was the same as yours, C5/6, and like Tamtam said, spasms are not uncommon. You need to remember that fusion just changed the dynamics and loading in your cervical spine, so the muscles have to adjust - your shoulders also might hurt during your recovery. Hope you feel better soon. *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • yeah tam tam i have been takin soma religiously with heat and ice and massage no result. i even tried lidocaine patches and it did nothing. i am at my witts end and can't deal with it anymore!! It has been 7 weeks, ill let u know what the mri says.
  • Thanks brenda!hugs back to ya!!
  • I have had continued issues with pain on and around my spine in the area below C5/C7 since my surgery in 2008. Thankfully it does not render me unable to function, but sometime it is pretty darned close to crippling, especially after a long, strenuous day. I feel your pain. Is it right in the center and surrounding area? Sometimes mine feels like someone has stabbed a hot ice pick into my spine on one side or the other and sometimes at the same time. And there is a constant ache.
    I have done massage, PT (with massage, ultrasound, tens unit and strengthening), Skelaxin (for over a year after surgery), epidural injections, facet injections, SCS (1 1/2 years after the disc surgery) and most recently trigger point injections and I am now also using a muscle stimulator (not tens) twice/day for 40 minutes at a time. I have an aggravated nerve at C7/T1 and my muscles are reacting in a very angry manner. What works the best, but isn't always practical is to take Zanaflex 4mg (can't take it any stronger because I get so sleepy), Lortab 10/500, my heating pad and complete relaxation. My daytime regime is just the Zanaflex and Lortab and leaning back in my office chair to try and relax my body as much as possible I also get relief from a hot bath in a deep bathtub and I indulge in that every night and try to take my last dose of medicine right about the same time and then immediately go to bed. It does allow me to get some decent sleep if I do that.
    I'm so sorry for your pain and sympathetic. I think we go into that surgery believing that it is going to take care of our pain. It did take care of the horrible arm pain and weakness in my hand, but once that was gone, the pain in my back was significantly more noticeable!