Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More on DDD

driftwoodddriftwood Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
ok folks, at the risk of being obsessive.

From the links given and research done I have some conclusions on Disk Degeneration Disease.

Will leave the semantics of the name out of it.

1.) I understand that disk degeneration is normal
2.) It can be affected by various factors, such as smoking, genetics, trauma, RSI, occupation.

Now this is where I start to have issues. There is normal DDD and there is abnormal DDD. Let's put this in perspective.

It's normal for alot of males to loose hair say between the ages of 25-40. However, its not normal for males to loose hair say after using a brand of toothpaste from taiawan(no offence.) So obviously it's normal to get old, but to get old prematurely is not normal, seeing that it happens quite a bit is no more reason call it normal.

It is is a process that has many different phases, the last phase I think being termed IDD, where you are pretty much screwed.

WHen I was told I had "it" I got the distinct feeling I was beind told "don't worry now, when it gets really bad we'll help you."

I got two tears in different discs and bulges. From what I know about tears(there are three kinds) so far is that there are differrent kinds, and they each mean different things.

I also am seeing that a bulge as well as a tear will inevitably lead it being displaced. Since the tear weakens etc. NOt neccesarily but likely seems to be the relationship here.

Am a little uncomfortable with the whole lets wait and see.
advertisement

Comments

• Driftwood,

I fully understand your feelings of being uncomfortable with the 'waiting game' as they say. I have a (last MRI) 9mm bulge at my C2/3 - so I worry "is that sucker gonna just go?" I am now symptomatic at that level, so time soon may tell if they want to play in that park!

Now with tears, most times it is a slow progression unless of course say...a car accident or a bar fight (just giving what ifs okay?) accelerates things. Just work with your doctors, and of course be mindful of any changes that you feel they should know about.

As you have probably seen all over here, don't let the MRI images or even report freak you out. You can have the most nasty looking MRI, and have no symptoms. I guess what I am saying here, is don't worry so much as to 'induce' symptoms. When I wasn't given a whole lot of information at to what to be aware of concerning my C2/3, I called my NS's office to find out. It might not hurt for you to do the same. That way if things change, you can direct it in a more timely manner to your doctor. *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • driftwood said:
    NS's office?
    Sorry NeuroSurgeons Office

NS = Neurosurgeon
    OS = Orthopedic Surgeon

Hope that helps. :)

Brenda
  • What are your symptoms and what cause them to hurt more or makes them better? and how long have you been having issues in the cervical area?
  • 6 months, the symptoms I describe below have started up in the last 3 months I would say.

symptoms -
    Generally my traps and shoulders ache and pain. SOmedays it feels like I have been stung by bees, other days it feels like they lock up. My neck is stiff to move to one side. I tend to be achy in pretty much any position I am in for too long. Off and and I get formication and the sensation of someone poking me with a pin or being bit by a bug.

• so are the "tears" and bulges a matter of time before they pop out?
  • Driftwood,

I don't think there is anything etched in stone that says all bulges will become hernia's or pop. Some bulge and stay in that status forever, others progress. I think in part that might be another reason doctors don't do a preemptive strike surgery wise. Some actually reduce over time. It could be bulging purely because of specific activities over and over.. and if the activity stops, then the disk gets a break, and might return to 'normal.'

As for tears. Same sort of thing. Not all tears result in leakage. Not all tears increase. By example lets say you went on an amusement park ride, got jerked real hard. Lets say that jerk caused a tear, no other jerks happen, chances are unless the tear was enough to cause leakage, it might never go beyond that initial status. Hope that helps. Remember, we are all different, so no crystal balls. :)

Brenda
  • Ok that makes sense.
    I asked the doctor how advanced mine is and since I do not know , what even having it means - anways, they says that its mild to moderate - half way there I suppose.
  • driftwood said:
    Ok that makes sense.
    I asked the doctor how advanced mine is and since I do not know , what even having it means - anways, they says that its mild to moderate - half way there I suppose.
    "Mild to moderate".."half way there.." That is a glass is half empty mentality! If he said "moderate" then yeah, half way might work, but... (G) Again darlin, try not to over think, or put the cart before the horse, okay? *HUGZ*

Remember DDD is "gray hairs" for the spine. So if you were told you had mild to moderate gray hair..."Most" of us would slide over and take the mild to be our descriptive. *Wink* :)

Brenda
  • ok sounds good...
    Trying to piece it all together so thanks again for the info!!! :) I am alittle fruity about it TBH.
advertisement