Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tomorrow is the day!

inchwormiinchworm Posts: 719
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everybody,

I haven't been around for several days due to being at Mayo Clinic for treatment of a bowel obstruction (it doesn't rain but what it pours!) and then we lost our internet connection. Been back online for only about 20 minutes.

Am off to the hospital at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow morning for my fusion. Can hardly believe it's going to happen tomorrow--been so busy there's been little time for nerves to kick in. I'm having laminectomy L4 and L5; posterior instrumented fusion L4-S1, interbody fusion; autograft and bone graft substitutes. Long name for the procedure--whew. My blood will be collected, cleaned, and given back to me (can't remember what that's called) during surgery. Will be in the hospital for 4-5 days.

I'm admittedly a little nervous about the pain and potentially long recovery but am ready for the numbness and weird and changing pains to be over with, although I have to remind myself that the nerves will need time to heal and I may not feel 100% for some time. Thanks for the support of fellow spineys. I'm sending healing thoughts out to each of you. >:D< Will check in when I'm home and can get back on the computer.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled

• LOTS of positive energy heading your way for a very successful surgery tomorrow! Please let us know when you are on the other side. Good luck, see you back with us soon! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • May you have great surgery and fast recovery :)

Good luck >:D<

• Best to you. Yes, recovery takes time. But hang in there and time will take care of everything.
    Best of luck.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W

• as you have your PLIF today.
    Hope that the surgery goes as planned and that you wake up with very effetive pain control.
    Things will be hard for a couple of weeks, but hopefully then you will start to see improvement.

We will be waiting to hear how you get on, once you are feeling up to posting here. :-)
  • Sending you all the healing thoughts and prayers possible. Get well and recover quickly will be pulling for you.

• Prayers are with you!!! How did it go???
  • Late to this but really hope it has gone well and you are comfortable , see you when you can get online xxx
  • Hi, all you fine people, I'm home and it feels SO good to be here. Great care in the hospital but I'm with Dorothy, there's no place like home. :)

Thanks so much for your positive words and encouragement. What a great bunch of cyberfriends.

Everything went well except it took 6 1/2 hours instead of 4-5 and I'm in a rigid clamshell brace. Surgeon discovered soft bone in my vertebrae which prohibited him from putting the necessary torque on the vertebrae to straighten them out. He had to modify the vertebrae to straighten that part of my spine. Guess I can't go around bragging about my strong bones anymore! When asked how long I'll have to wear the brace, my surgeon said it is typically through three xrays. Will be going in for staple removal and first x-ray on Thursday--last xray is generally done several weeks out from surgery but if they find evidence that things are progressing at a good pace, I may get out of this thing sooner. Don't mean to complain, but the brace is the single most unpleasant part of thi9s experience. I have learned how to put it on and take it off, though, which frees up hubby to return to work. Am happy to report pain is much much less than what I'd expected. Surgical site is achy, sure, but the majority of pain is coming from high in my thighs in the front where I was lyding on the table, and in my back muscles which were filleted off my backbone and are not yet attached to anything. Guess that will happenin roughtly 6 weedks.

Can't seem to get my fingers to type decently so am going to quit trying for now. Going to lie down and hope my feet don't start up cramping again. Have put something at end of sofa that I can press against to help relieve the sapsms.

I hope each of you is doing as well as can be expected. I see that Tony is in pain since his disco so will try to find that topic and give him a little moral support. Only 2 hours uintil I can have more muscle relaxer--yay!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Great to hear you're safe home and not having too much pain. I hope the muscle spasms ease up for you and heal completely. Prayers for your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So glad to see you are "on the other side" and it's going (pain wise) better than you figured on. I hope that trend continues. Rest, relax and follow the doctors orders to the tee! Welcome back!!! *HUGZ* <-- Gentle.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks, Charry and Brenda--it's so nice to come here and find people who care enough to take time to encourage others, even when they (you!) don't feel well yourselves.

Haven't slept much since 3:00 a.m. and probably won't try again until a bit later. Whenever I get soundly to sleep, next thing I wake up with a dry mouth like the Sahara--am a mouth breather in the best of times but drugs make it a lot worse. Will stay awake now until after breakfast. Need to shower before hubby leaves for work so he can change my dressing. Will feel somewhat human when I get body and hair clean, lol.

Take care of yourselves today. Sending healing thoughts your way. :)

• I'm so sorry I've missed your post and didn't get to post to you before your surgery and am only now getting around to it. My apologies.

I'm so glad that you're home and on to recovery. Recovery isn't the most pleasant of things, along with the brace. What kind of brace are you wearing? I found mine to be fairly comfortable and it had a removable hard shell in the back, so doc said if it got too uncomfortable when I was relaxing to take it out. That helped a lot.

It sounds like you're doing pretty good, considering. It's always nice to see someone post after surgery with good thoughts and a positive attitude. Don't be surprised if you have days that are worse than others and be sure to keep up with walking, pain meds and no BLT. Overdoing it when we feel good post-op is our worst enemy, so keep that in mind.

Take care Linda. It's so good to see you posting and again, I'm so glad to hear from you post-op. Keep up the good healing.

• So good to hear from you and that you are doing so well.

Sleeping can be hard after surgery, but luckily you have plenty of time to take little naps during the day!

Do drink lots of water; that will also help with any constipation that you may have.

Lots of rest and short, frequent walks is helpful, as long as that is what your surgeon has recommneded.

Do keep up the good healing. :D I will be watching to see how your recovery progresses.

• Linda you sound very upbeat and happy that is awesome
    Glad your feeling the best you can afterwords My fusion is on the 14th so hope I can do as well as you
    lol hope your days just keep getting better for you ...
    You rock... keep posting your progress