Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Usta Could.........

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
........ride all day. Sure, it hurt after the first 100 miles, but as I got older the pain grew progressively worse. I'll be brief. 1987: NASTY motorcycle accident and the beginning of my Sciatia running down my right leg. I was young, in the Army, fast tracking, so I didn't complain and just dealt with it. Retired in 2005. Sciatica was pretty significant, but nothing a little "Ranger Candy" (800mg Motrin) couldn't manage. I enjoyed my retirement, worked a retirement job, and traveled the country on my Harleys.....until the summer of 2009.....when I fell off the roof of my house while hanging mushroom vents.....and landed on my butt. I've been hurtin' fierce since. Went through PT, one round of ESI, which gave me 12 days, and started seeing a spine surgeon. MRI showed compression at L3/L4 & L4/L5 and DDD same area. Went through discography. S1 and L5 weren't too bad, but I invented new cuss words when dye was injected into the disk between L3 & L4. Surgeon followed up with Myelogram, and finally recommended microdecompressive laminectomy L4 & L5. I followed post-op instructions to a T, and within three weeks, I was completely pain free for the first time since 1987. So I started livin' again........as anyone who had been dealing with this for 23 years would. My relief was short lived. Apparently I'm clumsy, accident prone, or maybe I REALLY am a disabled vet........who knows, but on 22 AUG, I took a fall from the third rung of the attic ladder. Sciatica is back with a VENGEANCE! Currently going through the motions with my spine surgeon, but he can't find anything wrong. Referring me to pain management. Appointment is 1 NOV. Until then he has given me Percocet 7.5/325 3 times a day........which I can't take and drive, let alone work. That's where I am for now. It's tough to condense a 23 year battle into a short story, but hopefully I haven't bored everyone.


  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you found us. I didn't find your story boring in the least, but I'd really suggest you keep your feet on the ground. LOL

    I'm sorry you're going through all this and you'll find a lot of support here and probably some questions as well. I hope you'll keep us posted on what your progress is with the testing, etc.

    I also want to thank you for your service to our country. *Salute*

    Take care and again, please keep us posted.
  • Howdy and welcome to Spine Health!!! 10 years Army here. :)

    I don't know if I would call you more accident prone than 'LUCKY!' Most might have been injured a whole lot more - I know if it was me, it would have been worse! (G) Glad to see you are in good spirits and keeping after it. Again, Welcome aboard!!! :)

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i want to thank you for your service to our country.. i am sorry you are feeling pain!! please have a good look around and make yourself at home. drop by anytime. Jenny
  • Me again. I've been scheduled for an ESI on 15 OCT. I had one of these a little over a year ago. After about three days, I got 12 of the best days I've had since 1987.......then someone flipped the switch. Dr. wants to try it again. I've read that if there wasn't much success the first time, and there has been surgery since, then it defies wisdom for a second ESI, but he's the doc........I'm just an old retired Soldier. Meanwhile, I also have an appointment with a pain management doctor on 1 NOV, which doesn't make much sense to me. I'll be two weeks post ESI, so it will either be a productive or worthless visit depending on the outcome of the ESI. We'll see. Meanwhile, picked up yet another script for 7.5/325 Percocet, which just knocks me on my fourth point of contact (maybe that's why it hurts :)), so I just deal with the backside pain until I get home for the day, eat a good meal, take one, and I'm good to go. I'm supposed to take one three times a day, but if I do that, I'll be a mumbling, bumbling, grumbling, fool and likely have a car wreck........get sued........it would really do nothing more than just increase the vacuum factor of this whole ordeal.......so I'll just suck it up and drive on until I get home where I'm safe on the ground before I take the Percocet. That is some WICKED stuff....but it works. I'll keep you posted.
  • HML I applaud your common sense. Narcotics really do effect our ability to perform tasks. Some claim that they adapt to them and have normal reactions but I have never seen any study that proves that one.

    I understand your suspicion of the ESI. But maybe it will last longer this time. At least you will know for sure and can continue or move on. But maybe you should call the PM office and let them know what your doctor is planning. I know my PM would want to do it himself. So it just seems confusing to have one doctor start PM (ESI is part of interventional PM) and then have you go to a PM doctor.

    Also let the PM office know that you are scheduled for the ESI two weeks before seeing them. I always have concerns about describing pain to doctors when I am already on medication. How are you supposed to give them an accurate picture of your condition?
  • I am not a fan of percocet, but it does not knock me out, but it does give me a horrible migraine for whatever reason.

    Hope you are doing well.
  • I am not a fan of percocet, but it does not knock me out, but it does give me a horrible migraine for whatever reason.

    Hope you are doing well.
  • Doh...double post, what a dork. Guess that's double the well wishes;)
  • Me again. My surgeon wanted me to have a "second opinion" from another surgeon within his practice. I get it. I'm mighty well educated for a country boy, and in my own line of work (engineering), we do the same thing, to make sure we haven't missed something........BUT the way I was taught, second opinions are to be unbiased. So I show up for my second opinion, return to my exam room after x-ray, and right there in front of my nose in the records holder on the door attached to my records was a note that read "Dr. X, See Dr. Y before seeing pt," with Dr. Y being my referring doctor. I knew right then bias was being introduced into my care, and came darn close to leaving.........but figured I'd hear out this new guy, and see what he had to say.
    Carbon copy of my doctor. I was so stunned and mad at the same time....at what is considered an ethical breach in my line of work....that I could not formulate a logical response.......so I went through checkout, and left. I feel mighty betrayed. Thought about it for a few days, and wrote a letter to my doctor with cc: to the doctor to whom he referred me and expressed my concerns. We'll see what happens. If I operated like that in my profession, I wouldn't be employed very long...........that's how people die in my line of work, so I would think the same would apply in medicine. There is a HUGE difference between "second opinion" and "collaboration." Either way......ESI on Friday. Very Cautiously Optimistic.
  • I have never had an ESI myself, but have heard good things about them. Hope it helps because it really sounds like you have been through the wringer with this.

    As far as the 'second opinion' goes, that is beyond messed up. Glad that you called them out on that.
  • If your insurance allows, can you get an "independent" second opinion via your own doctor choice? So far for me, I've tried to step outside my present doctor's circle for my seconds... I found that even if the doctors don't talk, *if* they professionally know each other, they might just go "Oh, Dr. Y said you have this, well...he is really good, so I agree!" The other part? I don't let them (the new doctor) know that they are a second opinion! Some doctors don't like "being the second" opinion. Good for you on sticking to your guns!!

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda, I'm hearin' ya, Sweetie, but I get all wrapped up in this professional integrity/conduct thing, and it means alot to me.........because when you get right down to it, integrity is one of those characteristics about a person that makes him or her who he or she is. I know I cannot expect others to have the same values by which I live, but NOW...I'm not too sure I want this guy workin' on me anymore now that I know his value system. That's the rock. The hard place is, though I have VERY good health insurance, and it will pay for me to go where ever I want, trying to get another spine surgeon to see me after another one has already hacked up my lumbar spine is harder than Chinese arithmetic. It won't happen here in town. 100 miles down the interstate either. Working on heading up north........and if I have to, I'll head out west......move there if necessary. I can take ALOT of pain, but as I sit here in my nice corporate office, trying to do my JOB.......I'm on the verge of tears. "There must be some kinda way outta here."
  • HML,

    Before I retired, "tears" were becoming a daily thing at work. I so hear ya there. Big *HUG* of support there darlin!

    Integrity, couldn't agree with you more! Former law enforcement here. When we had someone "betray the badge", it hurt all of us that live by that lovely word - INTEGRITY!!! And yes I too agree, that the BIG reason we go for second opinions aside from another's view is also a double for quality control!

    When I did aircraft maintenance in the Army, we always borrowed another pair of eyes to see if we did things correctly, or missed something. In the civilian world, when I asked another mechanic to look over something I just finished, I got the ..."What, you don't trust your work? Don't know how to do that?" I still borrow other eyes on things! My body is certainly NO different.

    Rolling eyes in 'new' surgeon comments. My neck is a mess, and most likely I'll have to have a revision, plus a level. My hubby wants me to get another opinion, and too a new surgeon. Like you, I've heard the nightmares of other doctors not wanting to fix someone else's mess. I dread that road. Sigh... *HUG*

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • We're just a scant two weeks out from our annual pilgrimage to Talladega Superspeedway for the Fall NASCAR races (actually, we go to the Spring races too). The wonderful thing is, we keep renewing the same seats each year, and last year our seats were replaced with new ones. I end up standing for most of the race.......even as high up as we are in OV Hill South Tower (Row 63).......mainly because everyone else is standing too, but there are a few brief "sit down" moments. Shouldn't be too bad. Of concern will be the 120 mile trip down there, and three days later, the same trip home. Usually I have a really good butt burn by the time I complete my 27 mile drive to work. So looks like it will be business as usual, with me sitting on my left hip while driving down US 431 and AL 77 to get to our motel for the weekend. Thank GOD for cold beer!
  • HML I'm with you on this one. I battled with my doctors about using their PT and imaging/radiologist. My neurologist still hasn't forgiven me for not going back for the last set of CTs. And when I pointed out that his radiologist missed a whole set of tests I was given a brush off. I would have found a new neurologist but this guy is doing my disability paperwork and I am afraid of rocking that boat. But that time may come soon.

    A second or third or fourth opinion should be just that, the opinion of a different doctor. It's bad enough that you have to explain your history to them. It really annoys me when they want to know what the last doctor said.

    It is also true that no one wants to work on top of another surgeons work. I think you need to try a hospital in a larger city. Often the chief of surgery will do what others won't. He's not paying his own malpractice so it makes it less of a risk.

    Hope you can find some relief and enjoy the races.
  • I had a second opinion like that once. I felt exactly the same way. "This isn't a second opinion, it's a back patting session."

    Good luck with the ESI. I've had better luck with some than others, depending on where they are placed.
  • Hi HML, I just wanted to welcome you to the Spine-Health forum. As you can see already we've got plenty of empathy and support for you. I want to thank you for your service to our country. I hope you can get this second opinion situation worked out to your satisfaction. Integrity is everything, in my book, so I'm behind you on that 100%. And, you don't want anybody cutting on you that you don't trust. Let us know how things work out for you and in the meantime, I'll be keeping you in my prayers during these days of pain. :)

    2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Hello...actually this is my first post, but I am curious...if your PM doc isn't doing the ESI, who is??

    I just had my first ESI on Monday and it was done in my PM doc's office.

  • Last person who posted wants to know who performed my LESI. It was performed by a physiatrist who works with the medical firm overseeing my care. It was done in a hospital using flouroscopy.
    It wasn't my first, and I really wasn't apprehensive except for the "here we go again," and "is this going to work this time, or am I wasting my time," thoughts. So there I laid in pre-op....on a gurney....nekkid....save for my socks and one of them buttless gowns, sheet and a couple warm blankets over me, IV started, and a hair net thing. Doc came in and saw me. We know each other. It's a Harley-Davidson thing. Anyway, he gave me his schpeil about what he was going to do, approach methodology, and told me he had pinpointed exactly where he needs to place the epidural injection. Then he marked my lower back and said he'd see me shortly. OK....here we go! The anesthetist and her assistant came and got me, took me back to the procedure room, which looked like an OR to me.......except the table was flat instead of like that weird looking kneeler thing they stuck me on for my laminectomy.....which I don't remember, because there was no way I was getting on that thing awake. Anywho...they wheeled me into the room and up to the table, jacked up the gurney, and helped me roll over onto the table. There were a couple pillows under my belly to elevate and spread my lumbar spine. Then they bared my backside, and we waited on the doctor. When he came in, he prepped his stuff, while the anesthetist loaded my IV with Versed and Morphine. Things got kinda fuzzy...real quick.......until he hit my Sciatic nerve with that needle, and I was instantly aware.....FULLY AWARE.....TEARFULLY AWARE of everything. He directed the anesthetist to administer more sedative, but I fought it....and won.....or lost...however you want to look at it, but he injected that corticosteroid into me, and I thought I was going to burn up and EXPLODE! Like ALIEN was going to burst out of my lower back! I know I dropped the "F" bomb at least a dozen times. Then the drugs finally hit me. I woke up in recovery. My tail was on fire. I was given a Toredol injection and a Dillaudid injection before having my wife help me dress and go home. Don't remember much of the rest of last Friday. There's a few images of the ride home, and I remember my sweet little Boxer Girl Pup crawling up in my recliner with me, but that's about it. Wife says I slept in my recliner with a quilt over me all afternoon, and she and my daughter had to guide me into bed that evening. Woke Saturday. Butt on fire. Running down my leg. Lortab ain't touching it. Before I took anything stronger, I decided to head to an urgent care clinic, and see if this was normal. I was assured it was. I was told the doctor "nailed" the right nerve root. I was given a Toredol injection and sent home. The Toredol really helped. Did well the rest of the day Saturday. Sunday wasn't too bad. Tolerable. Monday....butt was on fire.....running down my leg. Had to leave work. Called my doctor. Wanted to see me. He said as bad as I was hurting, it looks like this injection was right on the money, and the pain should subside in 7-10 days. I can't handle 7-10 days of this. I hurt before, but this is unbearable. So he gives me a script for 14 Lyrica capsules. I took one last night. Except for the blurry vision, that stuff REALLY took the burn out. Took one when I got to work this morning. Again, great results, but my vision is blurry. I can handle the trade-off of blurry vision vs. pain. Hopefully this all calms down in short order, but I think I've just endured my LAST LESI. I'd rather go through discography again, than go through what I've been through since Friday.
  • wow! and not a good wow :( I am so sorry this is happening to you (( Hugs)).....

    Hope each day improves your pain level
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I had 3 done on Oct 7 and one was at T-11 and 12 I still have presure feeling in the Tspine and also when I have had them in my L4 and 5 it felt like it could explode.they hit my nerve 2 time and it felt like some shocked me from the inside my leg fell up and I told them to take the d thing out, now never let them do it again and found a new pam dr who also put you a sleep, so i know how you feel
  • OK, I thought I was going to be able to handle Lyrica's side affects, but after a nauseating night Wednesday, accompanied by increased blurry vision and profuse sweating, even with the A/C cranked down below 70 degrees, I can't deal with it. Further, the LESI I had one week ago today has not kicked in. Having a CT Myelogram in about 2.5 hours. Had one of those prior to my Laminectomy earlier this year. Despite following instructions, I got the HEADACHE, and ended up in the ER for a blood patch. I can count that as one of the more "macabre" moments in my life. I just couldn't get past the idea of pulling blood out of my arm and injecting it into my spine. BUT......It Worked! Even still, not looking forward to this event, but if it leads to a path forward to relief from this maddening pain, then I'm ready.
  • No complications from the CT Myelogram. Nothing significant to report from it either based on this morning's appointment with my doctor. We briefly touched on ALIF, but I'd rather wait until I'm wailing in pain before I allow such a radical, permanent procedure that at best is going to give me 80% relief.........maybe! Doctor wants to validate January's Discography by repeating the procedure, since it showed leakers at L4-L5 and L2-L3. So that is scheduled for 12 NOV, which means I get to find all kinds of new and creative ways to get that DREAD out of my head, so I can at least try to enjoy this coming weekend........and concentrate on other things, like my job and school, in the meantime. As I recall, I became quite combative/violent/verbally abusive during my previous encounter with Discography. I'm really a very laid back, relaxed, mellow man, but the pain of that diagnostic was unlike any I've ever encountered. Even I am ashamed of the filth which spewed from my sewer mouth during that event. Needless to say, I know what I'm getting myself into this time........so I'm more than just apprehensive. Anywho........whatever it reveals, I'm afraid I'm stuck with what I've got until I just can't take it anymore. I'm not ready to submit to a permanent procedure that might not fix the problem, but will DEFINITELY alter how I live my life. Right now I can still be active. I can still ride my Harleys......even if I have to get off and walk around every 50 miles. I can still do alot of things that I won't be able to do once ALIF is done. We're a long way off from ALIF.....I'm too young and have too much livin' left to do.
  • I'm glad to hear that there were no complications with your CT Myelogram. Good news.

    I understand about wanting to wait for surgery, that's the last possible procedure any of us wants to go through and it's wise to wait until your quality of life dictates that there's no other choice. Hopefully that will be a long time from now.

    As for the discography, remember your LESI and let me quote you from one of your posts:
    HML said:
    Hopefully this all calms down in short order, but I think I've just endured my LAST LESI. I'd rather go through discography again, than go through what I've been through since Friday.
    So, at least you're not having another LESI. LOL Sorry, just thought I'd throw in a little humor there.

    Maybe you need to take a leather belt to chew on during the procedure. I've never had one but have heard enough stories to know they're not very pleasant. So sorry you have to do it again, ugh.

    Take care bud.
Sign In or Register to comment.