Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What if..........

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know that sometimes w/these PLIF,one doesn't actually fuse sometimes. If that happens,then what? Is another surgery needed or can that rod just stay screwed into the other vertabrae as is? This might sound like a silly question but I do not want another surgery and I'm afraid what the options are if I dont fuse.
I am makin it on my own here and not doing too bad. My mom did come for like the first day or 2 and so did the x to help me shower,(once)but they seemed to have disappeared. Nobody can be here w/me 24/7 anyway and Im finding that it isn't all that bad. I just showered by myself...carefully,and I'm doing ok feeding myself. I am in a lotta pain still though. I have a lotta left leg pain. It seems like it's worse than before I went in.Needless to say,my back is killing me too, but I think its site incision pain.And its too soon to tell about successful pain relief there.
Thanks everybody..

• I think it's really too early to think about non-fusion. I know it's easy to let it creep into our minds, but it doesn't do any good.

But, with that being said, I have a question: Did your cervical spine fuse after your ACDF? If so, I'd say you have a much better chance at fusing after your PLIF. I seem to be a good fuser - both of my surgeries have yielded good fusing results.

I can relate to the post-op pain. Lumbar surgery recover is a long road and I was amazed at how long it took to feel better. I also had a lot of leg pain for a few weeks after, something I never had pre-op, and required me to use a walker.

Also, are you wearing a brace? I would think that would be helpful if you're by yourself as a reminder and to prohibit you from bending and twisting. It's obvious you're doing very well with not lifting, so if you're not wearing a brace, you might ask your doc if it would be a good idea for the reasons I stated above.

Take care, Paul, and I hope you show the beginnings of fusion at your post-op x-ray in a few months.

• Cath,
    Thanks..u r right, it doesnt do any good,but I;m just thinking worse case scenario. Yes, I actually fused ahead of schedule.But this surgeon says its more difficult to fuse in the lumbar region. I have a "Corset", similar to a brace but he has not mandated me to wear it. It does provide me good suppport though. I see the Dr for the first post op visit on 10-5