Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Complications after Myelogram

yooperyyooper Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a successful ACDF in February of 2010 of C6/7 with about 5 months of relief. In July of this year I started with the same symptoms as I had before.....pain across the shoulder, numbness and tingling down my right arm. Blech! In August I went in for a MRI which showed "nothing" (except my fusion was doing well!)so they scheduled me for a myelogram which I had to wait almost 2 months to get in. Had that done yesterday. (no def. results yet)

Here is where it gets weird. The pain and numbness in my right arm is almost completely gone after the myelogram. ???? Could that happen? Even the strength in my arm is much better. ???? It hurt like hell when the dye was going up through my fusion but do you think the dye could have "moved" something that was pressing on a nerve? Sounds crazy but my cervical area feels pretty good.

Now for the other part. After the myelogram I had this constant pain/pressure below the injection site and it is not going away. I know it has only been two days but it hurts to walk, sit, bend and sometimes even lay down. THis afternoon I had tingling down to my toes which freaked me out. I don't have a headache like they talk about so I am glad for that but all day I have had nausea and vomiting and this constant pain in my lower back/butt/hips. Any thoughts???

What a long road to recovery this has been....a true rollercoaster. Any input would be appreciated. :)

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Hope everything is improving ....

1. Please contact your doctor first thing tomorrow morning and inform him of every and any new symptoms.

2. The spine is a complicated and some times unpredictable structure. Could the mylogram moved something that caused some relief? - maybe but I would be more concerned with the new issues with the tingling in the toes and the pain in the low back, hips and tush. Also the N/V.

Please update your doc with all of these issues and request his direction on what should be done next.

Keep us posted and i will add you to my ever growing prayer list.

Warmest regards,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I had relly bad pins and needles in my hands and legs after my procedures.

MAKE SURE you contact your Dr ASAP to let them know whats going on

After my experience, I spoke to my Dr and he said that this can happen due to swelling of the spinal cord after the procedure as I fell twice from my legs being numb in the night when I got up to go to the bathroom..

Keep us posted on your Drs advice on this.
  • I had a myelogram 5 days ago. After 3 days i started to get numbness off and on in my leg. Back pain nearly gone. I'm guessing from these posts that it is due to inflamation. I'm freaked by all this. Any more comments on post meyogram? I don't expect this to last forever, but could some people talk a while to heal? They don't tell you all this and I would have REFUSED the test had I known!!!