Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 2 weeks post op PLIF

TraciTTraci Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Boy today is better than yesterday and yesterday was better than the day before. Some pain in the left leg. Get good relief from pain meds and rest. Walking twice a day. Get staples out friday. I guess I will get from the dr a better defined walking regime - I hope so - I need structure to know what to do. I don't have a cane or walker because dr did not like them. Able to get around pretty good like out of chair and out of bed. Still using raised commode seat. Do you usually use the raised seat for months or just at the beginning? I am on no nerve meds like neurotin but I am going to ask the dr about them on friday. Maybe what I need to take care of this night achey brakey feeling. I think that I needed to build my blood up (anemic) there at the beginning and those days were rough but it is so much better now. I have decided that this is major surgery (like I didn't know it) and major surgery takes time to recouperate from. I am 47 years old and I don't think I understood completely how this was major surgery even though my brain knew that it was. Thanks for listening....Thankful....Traci

• Even your doctor won't have an absolute definitive walking program. there isn't too much walking there's only too little. In theory you should be walking a mile and working up to 3 miles by the time your a month out. Good idea is to get a pedometer and have the goal be 10,000 steps per day (approx 5 miles) the more you walk , the better your long term recovery with scar tissue and fusion. I can only relay my own experience. I'm walking a measured 3 and then also doing 10,000 steps every day. So far its keeping all the pain away. Days that I can't walk, the pain is around. Each person is an individual so you have to do what feels right for you. I hope it all works for you.