Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI Frequency

ralst4rralst4 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Stenosis

I was wondering how your doctor orders an MRI to monitor your back condition? My last MRI was two years ago and my pain has increased over that time.

The results of my last MRI were:

Findings: Developmentaly small lumbar canal secondary to short pedicals, particulaly apparent at the L2-L3 and L3-L4 levels. Tiny Schmorl's nodes at L2-L3 through L4-L-5. Mild loss of intervertebral disk height at the L3-L4 level.

At L2-L3 there is mild facet hypertrophy with ligamentum flavum thickening and a minor broad based posterior protrusion that extends into the inferior formina. There is mild central canal stenosis and mild inferior foraminal narrowing, bilaterally.

At L3-L4 there is mild hypertrophy bilaterally with a mild broad based posterior disk protrusion that extends into the inferior foramina. There is mild bilateral inferior foraminal narrowing and mild central canal stenosis.

At L4-L5 there is mild bilateral facet degenerative change. Minimal broad based posterior protrusion with mild effacement of the anterior thecal sac and mild bilateral inferior foraminal narrowing, left greater than right.

At L5-S1 there is mild right sided facet degeneration and mild bilateral foraminal narrowing.

• Usually they order an MRI if they suspect something that they haven't seen before. So if your pain has increased without a known cause they would probably order one. The other test would be a CT.

Have you seen your doctor in the past two years? And what are they saying?
  • Thanks for the reply Kris. I have been to the doctor and they said that it is just what I should expect with my condition. We have tried medication and have recently been sent to a pain management doctor. I have had two spinal epidurals and have a third scheduled.
  • I recently asked others the same question. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/chronic-pain/how-often-get-mri-or-another-test If there's a change in your condition and more pain or numbness the Dr. usually orders more tests. I hope your injections help. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN