Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Brace stinks

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Well I picked up my new elastic brace yesterday. I tried it on before accepting it. I could tell right away it wasn't really going to cut it- but it was a start and it was only $50 (I should get reimbursed by insurance).

I decided to wear it today since I had some physical work to do. I had only 6 cases of product to stack and 5 med/large totes around 20-30 # each to unpack and put away.
Plus I went shopping and carried up the groceries.

I think that it caused more pain than good. While it did feel extra supportive it also compressed certain areas that maybe it shouldn't be touched- because my pain levels are worse than they have ever been. My ribs and upper back are screaming and my hands are really messed up.

I researched thoracics braces online and they make much better ones- I just need to get a real MD to order it like my hard/soft shell brace I have for my lumbar...

The good news is that I got the packet today for the PM. Things are looking up :)

• Julie,

Not sure if this will help? I bought a 'abdominal brace' at Walgreen's for around $38.00 It fit perfectly for a "rib/thoracic" brace, and it can be adjusted in seconds without taking it off. It can be found near the pharmacy counter with all the other brace. It is made by "Mueller."

Sorry the brace you're trying now isn't working. I hope this helps, or your doctor can suggest a better fitting one. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks Brenda-I looked through a huge catalog with the PT people and got it at cost. I think I need a custom fit heavy duty high dollar brace for when I have a lot of work to do. One that doesn't press into my spine where the herniations are, but maybe I am wrong.

I already have 3 lumbar braces (2 elastic velcro lighter weight styles and 1 very expensive custom fit HD)- I started using them again a few weeks back- placing them up higher than before. It helps but doesn't go quite high enough. My PT gals wanted to tape me to try it out but I have adhesive allergies so it wasn't a viable option.

I was in so much pain earlier- my meds are finally kicking in. I scared my poor daughter. I was talking to her= placed my hands on her shoulders and then the wind went out of me- It felt like some one was stabbing me in the right lung/rib with an ice pick. I had to go lay down for a little while and cry. Now I have a strange pain in my left hip.

Feeling better but woosey & weak.

• Julie,

My levels are different, so that might be why it helps me out. T8/9/10 <-- All together helps I guess? The arthritis is throughout the thoracic, but that kind of pain as you probably know isn't helped by a brace. :)

Sorry you're hurting so bad today. Gentle *hug* for you. Based on the levels affecting you, you're probably going to have to get one fitted. I hope they can do that soon. Rest, and hopefully feel better woman!! >:D<

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • You may want to inquire about a TLSO hard shell brace. It is specifically designed to support the entire thoracic spine, both front and back, in addition to the lumbar spine. :?

These can only be ordered through a prescription from your PM/doctor. You are fitted for this at another facility and it takes a few days for it to come in. You are sent back for the final fitting, should any adjustments need to be made then or as time passes.

I hope you have good insurance should this brace be recommended. They cost about $2,000. I am on my second one now, as of a couple of months ago. Have this one air brushed all in camouflage colors.

Good luck,