Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 Fusion Complete

Liz49LLiz49 Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a TLIF of L4/L5 two days ago. And I'm here to tell about it! So far so good, but very painful. Constipation is a problem! Please keep my recovery in your prayers. Thank you for all your support.

Liz

P.S. I dictated to my husband from my hospital bed. He has been great!
advertisement

Comments

• >:D< Glad to hear you made it through. Not surprised constapation is an issue. Wasn't it an issue before the surgery. LOL, I just went 4 days without going.

You will be in my prayers and I look forward to hearing about your recovery.

Angela
  • You're on the 'other' side now. Yes, it'll be sore, yes, you'll do everything your doctor suggests and yes, you'll ask for more pain meds if you need them.

Give it a week or so and you'll hopefully be feeling much better than you do now! In more ways than one (and they can give you something to help with constipation - I needed a bomb!!!! ha!)

When you feel up to it, please let us know how you're getting on OK?
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I hope you are resting more comfortably at home soon. You will hurt but hopefully you will feel much better and have less pain than before surgery as the days go by. Those first few days/weeks are rough but hang in there!

Kathy
  • Good to hear you're alright after surgery and I pray your pain gets under control soon. Positive thoughts also. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi there. Please keep us posted. I am hoping to get fusion on the L5S1 only.

I will keep you in my prayers. I know God is going to give you the strength necessary to endure the pain you are in. Are you taking meds?

We give Christ all the honor and glory for the great recovery taking place in your body. May you be blessed with a successful fusion, be pain free and recover you life back. In Jesus name I pray.

bebe >:D< >:D<
  • i wish you a speedy recovery .with regards to the dreaded constipation the answer is movicol {given in hospitals world wide } but the secret to making it easy to drink is as follows ..first get a coffee/tea mug/cup then empty the movicol in to the empty cup {its a powder} then boil some water and when boiled put about a quarter in the same mug as the movicol the add orange cordial {orange that you mix with water to drink not real orange}as much as you would to make a normal drink then top off with cold tap water ..the end result is a warm drink that just taste like warm orange ..not a gin and tonic but a lot better than movicol on its own ..many people have to take movicol or something similar every day and many are unable to take it as directed on the box ..but doing it my way wont harm the movicol or you and at least you wont throw up when you have to drink it !PS don't forget to stir the mix up or it will not totally dissolve .do this at the boiling water in cup stage
    tx
  • Liz, Wow, nice to hear that you are in a positive mind set! "so far so good, but painful" try & stay positive. I am a little over 5 weeks L4-5 ALIF. Day two I was on dilaud pump, pushing ever 6 minutes! As well as all the other pain meds those caring nurses gave me. I spent 5 days in hospital.

Constipation, comes with the territory, like sprinkles on ice cream. I am still suffering with it, don't let it go too long. For me it took far too long to have a BM, and then the second one just as long, I was prune juiced out, then they (my vascular surgeon) called in the BIG GUNS! Magnesium citrate! 5 oz 1st day, nothing 5 oz next, day then I was good to go. (going through the front you get all the GI & bladder issues, organs & intestines get angry when you mess with them, so I guess they're paying me back, LOL)

I am now using miralax, to try & stay regular.. double doses some days (per doc), as I still only go every 3 or 5 days.

Be careful not to push, or try so hard or force it. There is a lot of advice above my post, so I'm sure one of them will work for you. Believe it not, you can hurt yourself trying to go.

Hoping you get better every day!
    Virginia

Ps aren't husbands great! Mine is my 24 hour duty nurse! Love him dearly!

• saying prayers for your recovery. :-)

I'm sure that your husband will let you know about the replies to your post. Reminds me of straight after my fusion, when my hubby posted for me. He used to print off the answers and bring them into the hospital.

I am 6 months post L4/L5 PLIF and my surgery has really improved things. (I am still having problems in my cervical and thoracic spine, but the lumbar area is much improved.)

Hope that you will be able to go home very soon and that your recovery will continue smoothly. Allow your husband to pamper you to give your back a chance to heal. Things will improve soon, but be ready for a long and slow recovery. Hopefully, it will all be worth it in the end. :D

Keep us posted as to how you are doing. :H
  • Had mine done last Wednesday and so far so good, but you are right the constipation is a problem....try miralax, it really works well. Best of luck for a speedy recovery!
  • You're doing well, Liz, and I hope that continues. I'm one week post-op PLIF L4-S1 and constipation is something I dog continually. Not nice if I forget to take stool softener!

Keep us posted and continue your great recovery.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.