Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to expect during IME

sleeprgirlssleeprgirl Posts: 695
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Going to IME for LTD review. What should I expect?

Thanks all,

• Lisa,

Greetings! My employer sent me for an IME and basically they send you to a doctor who specializes in the area of your medical condition. This doctor then goes over any information you or LTD sent them, exams you and reports his findings after he is done. Mine took about 45 minutes *with* the doctor.

I was sent to an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. He did tell me his findings, and what he was going to report. Mine confirmed almost everything my NS already stated in the end. It is a confirmation of your diagnosis as listed. Hope that helps. *HUGZ*

PS.. I brought my latest EMG reports, CD's of any diagnostics, doctor statement/notes etc. My employer had my MRI reports, but not the disks...I brought them with me. He did do a very detailed x-ray series too.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I have been through several IME's. Basically they are looking to see if your condition is going to warrant you to continue to receive the benefits. Some of the IME doctors will only take records from the the party requesting the testing. But I would be prepared with any documents, sometimes documents are missing from the file. Be prepared to explain your condition/pain and how it is effecting you and also any medications and how they effect you as well. They will ask you things like what you do in a day and how you take care of yourself, just kind of general questions of how you go about your day. More than likely they will have a copy of your current job, and what you need to be able to do, to return to work. The doctor may also order additional images to verify his/her findings. Keep in mind they are not there to offer any treatment programs, just to verify your condition and the medical facts at hand. There isn't much you can really do other than be as truthful as possible and answer any questions they ask of you. If your file is well documented and your actively still seeking treatments, you shouldn't have any issues at all. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  • I have to go for an IME also. I wish I would've got copies of my application to them and what I wrote for the activities. Some days I can walk further than other days but walk with my cane and some days I have to recover from taking walks. I had a Kinesiologist come to my house and question me and it seems easier than going for an IME. Is it true they do 2 day exams lasting for 3 or 4 hours? Thanks. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I will let you know how it goes. I have all my records and imaging, but bottom line, my disability speaks for itself. I can do no more. I hope it doesnt last 3-4 hours. That would be very difficult for me to do presently.

Take care, and have a good exam, Charry!!!