Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery and return to sports

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Yeah I'm going to get it at the end of this post :) I thought I posted 2 yrs ago after my acdf, but I had to make a new account...

So here's me in a quick nutshell. I'm a 39 yr old mom who works full time (ER unit clerk) C5/6 ACDF in 08 b/c of cord compression from ??..just had my arms fall asleep all the time. I play soccer, competitive ice hockey (no checking) and various other forms of recreation. Went back to playing hockey 12 wks after fusion with neurosurgeon ok. Things were going well until about 8 mths ago when I kept getting stingers down my left arm. relentlessly. After all was said and done and three fingers on left hand stay numb- I have pinched nerve at C 6/7. Went to physical therapy, did home traction, take many meds. Had nerve block that only gave relief for 3 wks. Headed for foraminectomy/laminectomy in 3 wks. This is a new neurosurgeon as I know work in a health system and need to use the system docs. I trust him 110%.

Just don't know if I need to give up my soccer/hockey. Soccer would be easy to give up, but I LOVE hockey. i'm down to one night a week and have dropped to a lower more recreational division.....

What do you think? No, I have not told my dr what sports, just said I played competitive impact possible sports....

• I personally think you should be up front with all the facts so that the Dr can do his job 110%. What if the Dr only told you partial of what to expect from the surgery and the recovery and how upset you might be expecting something else entirely? What you don't say could impact your recovery immensly. Just my opinion.