Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to expect from Pain management.

paulab67ppaulab67 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
:H Hello everyone,
My spine surgeon told me at my last visit that he would not be prescribing meds for me any longer. This was my 3 month post op appt. I went to my regular dr. and they questioned why he isn't doing my meds any more. So, they gave me meds and set it up for me to go to pain management. I have never been to a PM dr. What does a PM dr do? I am sooo afraid he is going to take me off the meds that already work for me. I am on 2-10/325 hydrocodone 3 times a day and neurontin 600mgs 3 times a day. The actual amount I was on pre op. Crazy huh? Anyway, I have to fill out a boat load of papers for this dr. I have to go and get blood drawn to make sure I don't have HIV or Hepatitis. I understand why though. it's not a problem. Hae any of you been to PM dr? Like I said, my fear is him taking away my meds that work. I hope he weans me off the hydrocodone. You can't quit cold turkey can you? Anyway, my plan for tomorrow is to get my butt up and go to water aerobics at 10am. It is for toning abdominal muscles and focusing on cardio as well. It's the same thing I'm doing at PT right now. PT isn't to bad. I am REALLY stiff afterwards. Hope all of you have at least one pain free day this week. >:D< >:D< >:D< ;) :)

• I would expect that at the pain management doctor, you might have to have a urinalysis to make sure you are not taking any medications other than the ones prescribed for you (this is not necessarily the case, just don't be shocked if this happens). Also, you might have to sign a pain management contract.

As for the medications, I hope they don't give you any trouble! Of course, as we've all experienced with each other, anything can happen :( So, just make sure and have your records with you, make sure your appointment is not so close to running out of meds that you don't have time to find another doctor, etc.

Good luck!
  • The goal of Pain Management, is to help you manage your pain. Generally the first visit with the PM doc is an assessment of your injury/surgery/treatment history as well as your current medications, current pain and daily average pain. Depending on the assessment, the doc will generally make recommendations both short term and long term. A good pain management doc is worth his weight in gold!

If you don't already have one started, a pain journal/diary is very helpful to both you and the doc. Even if it is just something to keep you from forgetting something or getting side tracked when talking with the doc.

Let us know how your appointment goes.

• Paula hopefully you will "click" with your PM. It's really important. I have found there are two types of PMs. The first is an interventional PM which means they do procedures to try to stop the pain. THings like ESI or RF. They also do meds but they focus on treatments like this. THe other is a regular PM office where they focus on medication to control pain.

Hopefully the PM will work with you to wean off the meds. Is there any indication yet that your fusion has worked? The goal would be to get off all meds.

Good Luck
  • Paula,

My experience with a pm doctor has been very good. I am actually using a physiatrist, verses a traditional pain doctor. Now mind you I have been treating with him sense August of 07. But he does listen to what I have to say and comes up with something to try to help with the pain. Keep in mind he/she will ask many questions and things that may already be in the records, but they like any doctor need to make their own diagnoses. AS far as taking you medications away, they may want to change the meds to give you more aid in dealing with the pain. Just be open to any treatments that they may offer to help. Sometimes it is trial and error to get to the point of getting the right blend to of treatments to help you out.

Good luck on the water aerobics today and hope it helps you out.
  • I love my PM he their to help me control my pain in any way he can.

• I have had two different pain management docs and loved both of them. I found them to both be incredibly compassionate!

Both of my docs are anithesiologists who specialize in pain management. They do a combination of pain reduction procedures and pain medication prescriptions.

Wishing you the very best!
  • :H I appreciate all of your responses. I don't actually remember all of what I just read. So, I will say thank you for your responses and I hope I have a great relationship with my PM Dr. I see him on the 11th. The paperwork he sent for me to fill out is about 20 pages long. GEESH!! Can you say writers cramp. LOL I won't be surprised if he does a UA. That's fine with me. I have the meds that the dr gave me in my system. That's all. I am not healing as of my 3mos appt. I guess that means that the bone is not fusing? Is that normal? Remember I told you my surgeon told me it could take a year or the healing may not happen. Goodness I hope he is wrong about not healing. What happens then? Does he have to do the surgery over? Will I have to learn to live with this pain for the rest of my life? I might as well just crawl in a hole then. I AM doing alot more than I did pror to surgery. Not MUCH more but still it is an improvement. Thanks again. >:D< >:D< >:D<