Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good vibes for Sunny1966 (Debbie) today

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi fellow spineys.

Today is Debbie's ACDF and I would just like us to send major well wishes for her. She's fought long and hard with this decision, and has battled with her family to get support for this surgery. She's been fighting a downhill battle for a while now and I think that it's a blessing that she's finally having this surgery before she has to fight with permanent nerve damage.

I believe her family are finally in her court and she's going to have her surgery today at 10:30am her time. So please send good, healing thoughts to her on this day, a long overdo day at that. Knowing her, I'm really worried that she's going to overdo it once she gets home, so maybe we can also send wishes that she lets her family take care of her while we're at it.

I know that many of you are friends with her like I am and know she needs all the good thoughts and prayers that she can get, from every friend and from every perspective.

Thanks all.

• Well said Cath 111 , sending all the best get well vibes to her and her family at this time. -i really hope she is comfortable and painfree !!
  • you have my prayers heading your way.I am wishing you BEST IN YOUR SURGERY AND RECOVERY.And a pain free life.

• Wishing you a successful surgery, Debbie.

Saying many prayers!!!!

Tammy >:D<
  • a PM the other day
    but good luck and a speedy recovery debs
  • Debbie,

Looking at the clock.. Hoping you are now back in your room pain free, or darn close to it! Wishing all went well. *HUGZ* Remember woman, doctors instructions, follow them - no over-due, okay? More positive energy coming your way. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I hope surgery went well and you are keeping yourself warm and the pain meds are helping to keep you comfortable.

Thinking of you,

• Sending my best wishes to you, Debbie, for a successful surgery and minimal discomfort. I hope they are keeping you comfortable so you can sleep and start the recovery process. I)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm still alive and kicking so that's worth a lot.

I thought of you all before and after surgery and it really helped knowing you were all thinking of me.

I was at the hospital at 10:15 but my surgeon had an emergency so my surgery was from 2:30 until 4. I woke up to quite a lot of pain but they gave me morphine..I asked to only get 1/2 the dose because I wanted to get out of recovery quick because my family was waiting for me and it had been a long wait. The morphine didn't really help and I asked if they could give me something for the muscle spasms because that was the worst. I was given my first ever dose of valium...boy, where's that stuff been all my life??lol Didn't get to my room until almost 7 because no one was available to transport me.
    I finally got to my room and there was six family members waiting for me in the hall so I told the guy to hurry up and take me back the way we came..hehe.
    The tingling and pain in my fingers was gone when I woke up in recovery and hasn't returned so far (Thank God). I had some terrific RN's and PCT's. I was dressed in my comfy sweats and zipper top and walking all over the hospital by 9 pm with my drain hickie in my pocket. Hubby and I walked about 6-7 times last night. I only slept about 15 minutes because of the muscle spasms. They were giving me percocet every four hours and only gave me flexeril at 9 pm. After trying every possible way to get the muscles to relax I finally asked the nurse at 4am this morning if I could have something better. She said I had morphine ordered but I told her it really didn't help the spasms. She called the dr and got me an order for a valium. Ahhhh...
    The surgeons asst came in and released me at 9 this morning and only gave me scripts for percocets 5/375? (1) every six hrs, zofran (1) every 8 hrs and robaxin (1) every six hrs. Not very much I'm afraid but I didn't take anything from 9 this morning until about an hour ago.
    The surgeon talked to my family but only told them the basics of what he did and nothing else. Strange guy you know the type.
    I came home with no instructions as to what restrictions to follow other than to wear the soft collar for only 4-5 days and to walk often.
    I'm glad the surgery is over but I know it will take a while to recover. I went for a pretty long walk earlier with my son. I feel better while walking than sitting. My throat is very sore and painful so ice chips are my constant companion now.
    My husband had tears in his eyes when they were taking me to surgery and he spent the night with me even though I assured him I'd be fine. He did tell our son that I talked all night...pain meds do that to me. He got about and 1 1/2 sleep because he jumped up every time I moved. So I guess you could say he's finally come to terms with it. Now I'm home with him and my son (the warden) so hopefully the recovery will not take to long. I'm in no rush since it's taken me so long to get here.
    Sorry this is so long and again thank you all for thinking of me. I would have written sooner but forgot to take my laptop to the hospital. I definitely felt the good vibes from you all through it all. THANK YOU! Now get ready for all kinds of "is this normal" questions. lol.

• Debbie,

Too bad you can't see our expressions as we read this update. Broad smiling from me! Your reactions to Valium are a hoot! I don't think I've ever had it either come to think about it.

Tears from your hubby as you went off to surgery. That right there shows his reactions might have been more protective and from fear than from "being against" a surgery that should help you. Sounds like a keeper to me! It sounds like you have a great support structure as well.

Sigh....:) Now woman, rest, walk, don't over due. Now that you're home, you might want to call the doctors office and see about 'instructions'.. My NS wasn't big on instructions either - his staff was better about that nibblet! Thanks for the update Debbie. *HUGZ* Welcome home!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • You're doing great, Debbie! To make that long a post the day after surgery is impressive. Reading about your reaction to Valium makes me wonder why it's never been offered to me, either. Will keep that one in mind. I'm on day 6 of my recovery so you and I share a special kind of connection. Hope you continue to do so well. And I agree with Brenda, that hubby of yours sounds like a keeper! Sometimes men avoid showing fear at all cost and that translates into unpleasant encounters. So glad to hear how much he obviously loves you! =D>

You'll want to stay ahead of the muscle spasms as best you can. They are the worst part of neck surgery, IMO (cervical posterior foraminotomy 1 1/2 years ago). Don't skip or even delay your Robaxin and you'll do better.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi Debbie,
    Things are finally going YOUR way! Glad your on the other side and doing well. Sounds like your whole family is YOUR team!I had hoped hubby would come around. I'm sure he was just worried bout the final outcome. It's good to have a "warden, listen to him! Get your release instructions. They probably just forgot to give them to you. You really need to follow them to the tee. And don't try to rush things. Or you'll be right back to square 1.Funny thing Valium has been my muscle relaxer for years. And I remember at first I felt the way you did. But after taking them for quite awhile they don't do that. They just relax the muscles.
    Good luck, Jim =D>
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    What I wouldn't give for another dose of Valium right now. This sore throat is really bad isn't it? I can hardly swallow and at times it's scary. I wish I had some chloraseptic or something. Hopefully tomorrow I can get someone to get me something. Right now I think I'll find some anbesol or orajel (for toothaches) and swish some of that around and swallow. It can't hurt.
    Thank you all for being here. I did write a long post there didn't I? But, I nodded off a few times in between. lol. I was sitting here typing with my eyes closed and hubby and son were laughing at me. So if I can't spell or make sense just look over me.
    Hope you all have a good night. Me too...a good nights sleep would do wonders for me I think. Guess I'll start trying out places to sleep...may end up on the kitchen table before it's over with..hehe. Nah, I'd just fall off and break something. :D

Talk to you soon.
  • Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery
  • My prayers and good vibes are with you. Stay pain free.
    AL S
  • Yahoooooo! You're finally on the other side and home. Isn't being home the best feeling in the world after surgery? Yes, you need to find your "station" - mine is and has been my recliner with a rolling table next to it for my laptop and post-op, where I had my meals. It tips and rolls and can be adjusted up and down, it's a great thing to have.

As to restrictions, do try and get a list. For both of my surgeries I had one posted on the refrigerator so that everyone could see it. You also need to have help changing your dressing, so if they didn't give any pads and tape in the hospital for you to take home, you'll need some of that.

I can't tell you how happy I am that you're on the other side and that your family is there for you 100%. I guess what we talked about, the "ostrich syndrom" was right. He actually had a tear in is eye as they wheeled you away? OMG, I bet you never expected that. But isn't it just like you to try and make them hurry to get to your room so you didn't have to keep them waiting. Geez, woman, let 'em wait. LOL

I'm sorry you're having such a bad problem with your throat. Popsicles are good, Ensures can help you get the proteins you need, and of course, good ol' ice cream, like we talked about.

Muscle spasms are the worst after surgery and you might have them for quite a while. I only had valium after my TLIF and I agree that they're the best. I hope that your doc will give you a script for them for when the spasms get really bad. Maybe you won't need them every day, but it would be nice to have them when you need something stronger.

Anyway, sorry to drone on, I'm just so happy to hear from you and you're typing amazingly well for so soon after surgery.

Please take care of yourself, don't hurry your recovery, don't lift anything over 5 lbs. and squat, don't bend.

I'm thinking about you, my friend, and like all the others, I also have a big smile on my face for you.

• That is great news Deb I am so happy you did so well
    and that you have such a wonderful Husband and son
    that does help big kudos for them ......Take it easy and don't push it. sounds like you have a great attitude and are steaming ahead all full ....
    great job glad your home safe and sound there's no place like home ....my L5 S1 fusion is Oct 14th at 8am
    have a great day Deb will keep you in my prayers
  • For whatever reason my NS is pretty chintzy with the valium too! They say it is to addictive. It works the best on my spazms.... I just found a bottle yesterday with 1 pill in it :) I was cleaning out my dresser and I had a bunch of empty pill bottles (except one wasn't empty).

I guess I am saving it for a bad day now.

Debbie- I think the first week after my ACDF I lived on jellow salad. My hubby picked it up ay the deli along with the cloroseptic tablets. The spray wears off to fast.

I put my ice/gel packs on my neck as well. Wrapped in flannel and drapped over my neck when I went to sleep (after I took my percocet/vicoden).

Feel better,

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    My Patti say for you to gargle with warm salt water.
    Good luck, Jim :)))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!