Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe Depression

tractxttractx Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am out of pain meds run out last night so bare with me if this goes astray.
I am scheduled for surgery day after tomorrow ( 360 fusion L4-5 and L5-S1) I have looked forward to this as a possible answer to my problem. But, now it looks like I might not be able to do it because of lack of money. the insurance will pay for most of surgery and could go ahead but I cant see coming home with out any pain meds. It is bad enough I'm facing come home by myself cause wife has to work inorder to be able to by groceries but, to have to that and no meds is more than I think I can tske so now i suffer in depression that maybe fueled from withdrawls but also from the fact that I don't get to have surgery. It gets worse insurance will probably run out before I can get recheduled so this is my last chance probably.
I wish all of yall the best of luck with your surgeries and hope they turn to give you the relief you need

• Tracy does your doctor know you are out of meds? Being in withdrawal is probably not good as you go into surgery. He needs to be aware. Is there a social worker in his office or at the hospital that you could talk to? Often there are ways to get help with meds but you need someone to guide you.

I hope you can find a way to get to surgery. Don't give up..there is a way.
  • Tracy, there just has to be a way to do it. Can you call the hospital and ask about any programs they might have?
  • They (NS) sent me home with meds scripts after my PLIF. Stronger than the norco & flexeril that I was taking prior to the surgery. My husband handled filling the scripts before I was discharged at the pharmacy in the hospital. I think I was given the fent patch, valium, and percocets (break through). I want to say that was enough for 2 weeks. Then I went in for removal of my stitches and I was given more scrips that I had filled at my pharmacy. I think after the first 4 weeks I went back to Norco and flexerile.

Tracy- you need to have your surgery now before your insurance runs out. Also you might have a tax right off for this year. Try to stay positive >:D< I know how hard it is but you have to put your self first and in a few days you will be on the home stretch to getting better..

• it sounds as though you really need and want to go through this surgery. I know how it is when you don't have the financial means to proceed with something that may help you with your pain. My neuro wants me to get a spinal cord stimulator and pain pump but I have medicare along with a supplemental ins plan. I thought it would pick up the total costs when I looked into it. However, the co-pays and deductibles are outrageous. Had another appt. with neurologist today and he is still pushing to both procedures. He just doesn't understand I do not have the money. My husband is disabled with a heart condition and I became disabled due to an injury. It is certainly a depressing road to go down.
    As far as your situation you mentioned you are out of pain meds, is this due to finances or did you have to take more due to pain issues? If it is because of your financial situation, as someone stated their may be ways they could provide your meds for you post-op. You definately need to let the surgeon know if you feel you are going through withdrawal symtoms and if it is because you could not afford your meds and you need the surgery before insurance runs out I would certainly hope the hospital could work with you. Perhaps some type of payment plan. Generally speaking if there is a will there is a way. Have you already gone for your pre-op exam? Please keep us posted and I will certainly keep you in my prayers.
  • Hey Everyone,
    sorry it took me so long to reply, been kinda of out of it. As you can guess I did go through with surgery got help from some friends and in-laws. I am 2 weeks post op now and truely doing great. Dr. said he was glad because when they went in it was worse than they thought. He said my spine was loose and I was running the risk of spinal cord damage(YIKES). I am still in quite a bit of pain but able to get around way better than I expected and with out the use of a cane or walker. I can'nt sleep more than 2 hours due to the fact it hurts horribly bad to lay down.
    I have my 2 wk check up on monday and I will let everyone know how it goes. Thank you everyone for the prayers and kind thoughts they're working.
  • Have you checked with your pharmacy? Some of them have programs to help folks who just can't pay or aren't adequately covered by insurance. I'm really glad you went through with the surgery. Be very careful and don't do anything to jeopardize the surgeon's hard work.

I need to have monthly injections of vitamin B12 (for another condition). This year, when I went to get my prescription filled, I found out my insurance wouldn't pay for it. The pharmacist ran through several different options till he found one I could afford to pay. It worked out well for me.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.