Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd ACDF - I am really scared

TracymaeTTracymae Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone.

I am new here and would like any advice that i can be given from anyone who has had this happen.

I had c6-7 with hardware done in july of 09 - everything went well but i still had alot of pain - i just thought it was because my muscles were trying to heal after years of being tense from pain

A little bit ago - my arm and last two fingers started to go numb and i get sharp pain. I got a CT scan and it shows it only partially fused.

Now i am getting a discogram done to make sure all the other levels are ok and not causing problems and i am getting surgery beginning of november

I am really scared of the throat issues and then having to go back in. Has anyone else had two surgiers and how did they go?
advertisement

Comments

• >:D< Sorry Tracymae >:D<

Did the NS or OS tell you how different the surgery is going to be this time? Is he adding levels? Is he/she going to make you wear a bone growth stimulator? Is he changing the kind of hardwear and bracing?

I had an ACDF on March 2 (I think) then I had an auto accident in late April. I haven't a clue how my fusion looks. I had x-rays and mris- but won't see my NS until next week. My latest issues seems to be T-spine but I am also having real bad arm/hand problems (worse than before the ACDF).

It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. BTW what kind of surgeon are you using? You should be using a Fellowship trained Neurosurgeon or OrthoSurgeon who specializes in complex spine surgery in the very least.

Discograms are very unusual for the cervical spine. I know that much. Keep us posted.

Julie
  • i have had two back surgeries done in 15 years and now need a real big one done .i too have just had discography done .and i am waiting to go to see the consultant to see when i can have my 360 multi level fusion done .i am hoping its Nov but like you i am scared too
    STRAKER
  • Straker- have you had a discogram on the cervical? I understand it is very unusual. My NS doesn't even do them on the lumbar spine.

BTW whe do you find out about your surgery date?

Julie
  • Hi,

Thanks everyone for responding. Yes they are very unsual for the cervical but I have other discs that are herniated and he wants to make sure that none of them are causing an additional problem.

Basically he wants to check that out and if he finds issues he wants to do a multi level

He is a Neurosurg that has speciality in spine and the brain. I have used him before and fully trust him.

He told me how different this one was going to be. It was going to be a little longer because of the extra work of drilling out the bone that did not fuse all the way (ouchie) and replacing everything.

He also said that is a higher chance of having swallow problems. I did not get them the first time around and felt really lucky not to have but now i am afraid I will.

He also talked about putting me on growth stim like you said.

I am just really nervous to have to go back in and have them drilling so much in there and that close to everything ya know.

I am sch for disco in the middle of this month and then we shall see what comes of that.

I will Keep you posted :)
  • Sorry to hear you are going to have (what sounds like) a revision, and possible addition of another level. I had an ACDF with a partial corpectomy done in '08', and just over a year later my next level went. Due to inflammation, this ACDF also had a partial corpectomy (removal of some of the vertebra).

6 months after that fusion the vertebra between the fusions cracked! I have different hardware on each fusion! I've now begun to lose the next level below all of it (C7/8). I've been dragging my feet a bit as I know a full revision plus that new level are on the table. As they say "it doesn't trip my trigger."

I hope they find the partial fusion is the only area they have to work on. I agree with Julie too in that Discograms are major rare for cervical. Please let us know how it goes.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement