Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going to see Surgeon Today

angelanicaangelanic Posts: 256
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Recommendations on questions to ask about fusion?

• Good luck hope you get good news
  • Not sure when you were going...if you haven't yet well I would ask him the following

- what % chance of success would he give surgery
    - what potential risk is there and how likely is it
    - what % of your pain or symptoms does he expect to fix with this surgery.

This is what I wanted to know from the surgeons I talked to.
  • Angela,

I'm guessing you probably already went due to the time of day. Please let us know how it went. Fingers crossed for ya!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I didn't ask about chance of success because I know it is a crap shoot. I talked to him about posterior or anterior (posterior), cadaver or artifical and why(artifical, he has done both and he has been leaning more towards artifical due to less chance of infection, and cheaper and alot of people don't like the idea of cadaver (i could of cared less)), hospital and how long (yes and 2 days min), recovery: walking (up and about) driving and working, and sex (day 1 but not a lot, 2 weeks min for driving (depends on pain meds and pain level), 6 weeks for working, and no time for sex. On this last one he said when you feel like it and there are alot of ways to work this out. =))

I also talked to him about what if i just got another laminectomy (big risk of being back in a little while).

So that was pretty much it. Scheduled for November 3rd. Geuss it is time to start November surgery thread.

My husband still wants me to get a second opinion but he feels better after this appt. it is going to be a bit hard to get a second opinion though since the surgeon took my mris. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />

• Do it for your own piece of mind. It;s just a matter of stopping at the office to get your MRIs. Then you will never have to wonder.
  • Angela,

Obviously I'm sorry to see you have to go through that surgery, but on the same note I've seen many of your posts and threads that pretty much "you're there" in so far as needing it!

I agree with Kris, go back and get that disk. Me, I make copies after my MRI, and I keep the original. Of course I test the CD to be sure all copied correctly. My NS doesn't store any CD's. He views them, and when done that appointment, gives them back. As for a second opinion, if you happy with this surgeon, that's cool, but it might give you and your hubby piece of mind that this is the procedure that is best. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.