Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm "back"

sharyn51ssharyn51 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions

Haven't been to this Forum in a long while, (since 2004-05)
Laminectomy 2004, L-4-5 fusion with decompression a bunch of rods and screws (etc). Now its 2010 and I am 9 months dealing with low back pain, repeat MRI shows severe stenosis at the L-3-4, spondylosis, nerve root entrapment, bony growth, scar tissue, etc.
Scheduled for another fusion at the level above original site. Have had epidurals, caudals, sacral injections, take Ultraset and Vicodin. I am still working F/T, come home and collapse in bed by 7:30pm.

I know that I have to get myself emotionally ready to do this AGAIN, I feel so angry and fed up. I try to keep telling myself that I had a great result from my last surgery and 4 years of NO pain and perhaps that will happen again, but no guarantees.

Last surgery was anterior/posterior appraoch and the recovery was tough, now they want to do lateral/posterior. Anyone out there have this approach for surgery? Any advice appreciated.

Sharyn51 Age 58

• Hi Sharyn. Welcome back. Too bad it couldn't be for a visit instead of this reason.

Did they say what caused the new problems?

I am getting posterior fusion in November but can't tell you much.

Wishing you luck.

• hi and welcome back to the forum! :H we are still here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. sorry you are back for pain reasons.. i do hope you feel better soon and get some relief. good luck and drop in anytime! Jenny :)
  • Hi Sharyn, My name is Julie and I am 8 weeks post-op from a posterior Lumbar Interbody fusion Had L4 & L5 removed, 6 screws,rods. Did u have L4,L5 removed from 1st fusion? I thought once I did this there would not be a need for another. I was told that disc above would take on more load though. I joined this site a couple weeks ago, and it has been a godsend, amazingly nice people who r compassionate. I am sorry that you have to have another fusion, best wishes for a successful surgery.. I only learned AFTER my posterior approach to my surgery that anterior or combination even existed. My sciatica R leg pain is 90% gone, which was relentless pre-op, so I am grateful about that. Still early I suppose in my recovery, hope my back is as pain free as yours was. Is this new pain in a new area,or does your back pain also include area u were operated on? Hopefully this website will diffuse some of your frustration and anger.. I know it helped me immensely and I learned so much (and continue to) from other members.
    Sending Healing thoughts your way ~ Julie