Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help me understand my MRI/CT scan (background history included)

twelvejewelzttwelvejewelz Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Let me give you a little history. In the past 6 years i have been to the emergency room 5 times on unrelated injuries. Three of those 5 times i was assaulted by more than 4 people each time and all in all the injuries sustained were fractured orbital, broken cheek bone, broken ribs, hands and fingers broken lacerations on my head/face/body and a number of different injuries. The fourth time i went to the hospital i was hit by a car crossing the street and suffered a hip injury, broken ribs once again and nerve damage in my arm( no feeling in the top side of my forearm). The 5th time i was assaulted by a cop and hit in the head with a flashlight and suffered a fractured skull, lacerations on my forehead and 85 stitches across my forehead. In between all of these things i was in 2 car accidents that i should have gone to the hospital but i didnt. One i broke my thumb and it was barley hanging on but i wrapped it up and it healed but hurts all the time since. The second one i suffered a back injury and since my back hurts and im in chronic pain. I Have arthritis in both hands and they hurt all day every day to the point that when i pick something up they really hurt. My body has been through the ringer and back and has taken a sever beating in the past 6 years and all of this and im only 28. Its at the point that my whole body is in so much pain that it hurts most of the time to even get out of bed :-/ . Well my question is the last time i went to the emergency room they did a CT and mri. On the page that says Ct cervical spine it says:
mild motion artifact
there is no free air
there is degenerative disease of the bones, including degenerative disc disease.
What does all of that mean?Thanks!

• no one has any help for me?
  • We cannot give interpretations of CT's and MRI's, we are not physicians, we are a group of spine patients. So don't think that folks are ignoring you. With a medical history as extensive as yours, it is a bit intimidating for many folks to try and reply to you.

Please have a bit of patience,

• I so enjoyed chatting with you tonight!! As C said, you have a LOT of issues going on, so it is hard for us to offer suggestions or help. From what I got in chat, you will have to go the whole route with you Neurologist or Orthopedist to see what the main issues are, and too how to address them.

I am sooooo sorry you have been through so much bad luck. But on the flip side, you are still with us. That's a biggie!! Please let us know what routes your doctors are thinking for a game plan. Your spirits are good...and that is a BIG part to healing and being healed. Hope to chat again soon '12'...*HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • At the top of this very page is written in blue degenerative disc disease and you can click on it and will take you to some doctor written and peer reviewed literature regarding your condition. But you should further speak with a treating doctor and have them explain it in terms you can clearly understand as to what is going on with your cervical spine. Keep us posted on how you do. Take care.
  • I am not a doctor. I can try to help you with the terminology. You should visit a doctor and ask them to explain in detail the specific terms you do not understand and how that relates to your health. Mild motion artifact probably means that during the CT or MRI your body moved a little and motion on film distorts the image..much like when a person moves while taking a photograph. No free air...you did not specify which area they were saying there is no free air. If you break a rib and the bone pokes a hole in the lung air will escape outside of the lungs into the chest cavity. No free air could mean your lungs did not get punctured. It could also be related to your sinuses considering you had facial fractures. Your sinuses are protected by the bones in your face. I am unsure about free air as it relates to the cervical spine. I have never heard that term used in relation to the cervical spine. Degenerative bone and disc disease means the bones in your spine called vertebrae and the disc material in between them (they act as shock absorbers and keep the bones from rubbing together) are wearing out. The specifics regarding why they wear out can be related to age and injuries, overall health, genetics etc. You are young but even at your age people can experience degenerative changes. I am simply trying to help you understand some of the terminology, not to give a diagnosis. Any information I have provided needs to be reviewed with a physician who can elaborate in more detail and correct any misinformation. At the age of 28, it is very unusual for someone to have so many repeated physical assaults. Perhaps you need to evaluated why you are continuously in a situation where you are assaulted so that perhaps you can avoid such severe injuries. Head injuries can cause brain damage which can be difficult to detect and considering what you describe could warrant more in depth examination. I hope you will find relief from the pain you endure regardless of the root of it's origins which can go beyond the physical realm of our bodies. Peace be with you.
  • That's rough all you've been through at your age. I hope you find a good Neurologist and Pain Management Dr. and Physiotherapy will help. Prayers you have some relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Before becoming a homemaker and stay at home mom, I worked in x-ray and as a radiation therapist for many years. So, medically I do have some knowledge...enough that when I was finally able to view my c-spine MRI images on the computer my jaw dropped and I said "uh-oh" and after that I knew about enough to be called stupid and ran to my neurosurgeon. :))(
  • yea ive been through alot thats for sure.I enjoyed chatting with you as well Brenda!! I do see a very good pain management dr that has me on alot of meds, a chiropractor and used to see a physical therapist and a neurologist but being on unemployment i cannot afford it right now.Ive applied for temp disability for my PTSD so hopefully that goes though so i can get everything fixed. BTW i forgot to mention that i have fibromyalgia and arthritis as well. I was looking over my CT scan again and saw this , something i must have missed, in the spine section as well. Do you know what it means? I will be bringing it all to my doctor but im wondering if anyone knows first.

CT spine:
    abnormal gallbladder with stones and pericholecystic fluid
    at the edge of view in the lower chest , pressed implants are seen in rupture, especially on the right , may exist

EDIT: i just had my tonsils, deviated septum and anoids removed with surgery at the age of 28 and let me tell you that was no walk in the park.Kids seem to bounce back up but i was in pain for 3 weeks!! Was the worst experience of my life. I lost 35lbs in 3 weeks!!! Im going to be getting a cyst removed from my joint on my thumb as well with surgery in a few weeks so im doing one thing at a time lol. I already owe the emergency room 70k+ but luckily a couple charities picked up some of the bills and now its down to around 15k so not to shabby :)
  • Yes we have to chat again for sure! :) From what you put for your CT, they are going to most likely do follow ups to see what is fully going in in your Gallbladder. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Thanks for the heads up with the Deviated Septum - have to get mine done. The Tonsils and Adenoids I got removed when I was 6 or 7 - loved the ice cream! (G) I hear the 'fix' for the deviated septum is like a constant punch in the nose for a few weeks...is that what you felt?

Fibro on top of all your other issues, bummer! I hope your approved for the PTSD soon. Check with some of the local hospitals (teaching or clinic), some offer free services! If you have a good relationship with your surgeon, you might be able to work something out? I hope you have answers and a way to resolution soon 12....*HUGZ*

I guess I do have a question? Don't answer if it is too personal okay? How is it that you had so many attacks? Is it the neighborhood you live in, or just a bad streak? I've lived in some pretty rough areas, but managed to keep from becoming someones punching project. I would gather you really NEED to not get a beating again.... Again, no bad if you don't want to answer.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.