Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Building our new home!

BarbF01BBarbF01 Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Good News
The home we live in is okay..nice, but not all that we want. So, since we own over 5 acres of land (and that land is also closer to Husband's Mom and StepDad - who are very, very nice and both have medical issues...cancer, kidney failure,etc.), we're really looking forward to living nearer to them. And, the good thing is that we can put everything/anything into this new house that we want! :) And, its the same difference to work for both of us.. but a much more secluded and wooded area (with a 20 ft. berm that Hubby can use for a shooting area - he's law enforecment and says that he "needs to practice" :), and a large stream on the other side of this bewrm for the dogs to go simming). :) So, Its something to really think about, and plan.. and now I can rifle through home magazines to see what we want (and what we needs vs. whats realtisic in our buget) :) when Im laied up and in pain :)
advertisement

Comments

• Barb,

Sounds like a plan in motion!!! Good for you guys. It sounds like the location would be perfect! Congrats!! *HUG* =D>

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • We meet witt the contractor that we've chosen (after researching other guys and then finding this one - who has passed all of our further research and seems to want the work - unlike some of the other guys that it was like pulling teeth to even return phone calls!), for coffee on Monday AM. We already know what things we really want/need in the new home...big kitchen and walk in pantry as I love to cook/bake, master suite w/ walk in closets, a full loft, at least 1 spare bedrm (1 completed on the 1st floor, and maybe a second one..or the ability to put one in the basement and the plumbing done for another bathroom down there too), a large wrap around deck, and for the main living area of the house to be open concept. Now - its just a matter of how to work this all into a log-like home w/ the energy efficient insulation....
  • Let me know when it is built. The hubby and I will happily move in! (jk!!) That really sounds wonderful, and too that you already know what you want...that is a big part of it. :)

A friend of mine years ago transferred to upper state New York. He built what I call a 'wonder house'. He loves building things, and too is an electrical engineer. Heating/cooling - coal, wood, electric *and* gas! 2 and a half stories - he too built a loft. The garage is huge - about the size of a single plane hanger! Spiral wrap around patio - awesome!

Before I bought my house, I toyed with building one, but the contractors down here in South Florida are a risk (being nice). So glad you have a contractor you can trust. Please let us know when this wonderful project, soon hopefully to be built home is started!! Any estimate on how long it will take them to complete it? Are you guys going be part of the building process? This sounds so cool!! :)

Brenda
  • And planning it out ahead rather than just bungling through is such a good thing to do. We live in the country on an acre lot and really enjoy the wildlife wandering around behind us. Plus your relatives will appreciate having you closer in case they have a medical emergency.
    I really want to downsize and build a more accessible home for us. With hubby's back, I am thinking of wider door frames and halls that would be wheelchair accessible should we ever need that. And I crave a bungalow-lol.
  • Barb this is great. You get to plan all the things you want. I did this recently on a vacation home that may become a retirement home. The most important thing for me was to have everything on one level. There are two steps into the house but they are separate so you could get in without a problem. I do have two bedrooms upstairs but that is for the kids. I have no problem with steps now but I wanted to make sure there would be no problem as we get older.

We thought about log but decided not to. Our friends built a log home and it was a horror. Very difficult to get the electric and plumbing in. Also you have lots of exposed log walls which can be overwhelming. Plus the exterior needs alot of maintenance. We are doing a siding that is fiber cement board. It's supposed to be moisture and bug proof. Also comes pre-painted with a 15 yr warranty on the paint and 50 yr warranty on the siding itself. If you really want log consider doing a log facing. They also make siding that looks like log but is actually the cement board.

You should also consider doing solar and maybe a heat pump system where they run the pipes underground. There are lots of tax credits for this stuff. What I found out though was that alot of these credits have limits each year and when you do a whole house you get very little. Like we did all new windows which gets us the whole $1500 energy star tax credit. Then we bought a pellet stove and the salesman was telling us we get that same credit but we won't because we already hit the max. You might want to plan out certain purchases over two tax years. We decided to wait until January to get the stove.

Oh I envy you. I love the planning and building of a house. My husband is still at our vaca house working on it but I'm home with the kids because of school. I hate missing all the exciting steps. Just remember to take your time and make sure you are happy with all of the contractors. If you have any questions PM me. I've been through this a few times.
  • They have quoted us at $218,000 for (almost) everything. If I remember right, it includes the septic, the foundation, the structure and everything that goes with it (roof, electric, plumbing, all the finishing work, etc). We would just have to clear the land and put in our own driveway... so not much in the whole scheme of things. We have yet to sign anything with them, as we're still reviewing all of the final plans, and want to be sure of it before we start. Although, we really like the contractors and they have an awesome track record (and we've seen some of their finished work and really liked it). So, nothing but good reviews for them...but $218,000 is a lot of $$ to just put out there!
  • Barb,

I guess it all boils down to "what you want, and what you want in it?" You aren't getting a 'cookie cutter' house, so it will be higher. As long as you trust these guys, then it should work out if your finances allow for it. If for instance it was south Florida, I wouldn't believe their quote...or if they would even finish the job! Yeah, it is that bad down here with contractors. So nice to hear there ARE some places where they can be trusted!!! Kudos to you guys!!

Brenda
  • Barb a few thoughts.

1- Add 20% in your minds for changes or extras.
    2- Make sure there are progress payments which match the work done. This needs to be stated in the contract.
    3- Get a list of suppliers and exactly what will be used. For example KitchenMaid Cabinet style blah blah in cherry with chrome hardware style blah blah. Siding will be xxx from xxx. Windows from Anderson style xxx. Flooring by Armstrong laminate style xxx.
    4- Make sure that your contract includes a schedule for construction as well as what happens if you aren't happy or he doesn't show up.

And talk to a lawyer. That much money is a big deal. You also need to find out about permits and any other requirements.

Also go knock on the door of a house they built and ask the owners how they liked the contractor and if he stayed to his estimate. Taking the time now will make it so much easier later.
  • great points Kris...you have a solid mind and I like it. Congrats Barb! Sounds like fun! We hope to be in this position...but it will be a few years with my situation. In the mean time, we hope to get some land and pay it off...but gosh, it's so pricey!!

I hope you have fun with the building process.
advertisement