Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

It's time again

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
I will be going in for my second shoulder replacement next week. I am heading into this with mixed feelings.

Good I will be so happy to have this shoulder/arm pain go away. My right arm has slowly become useless in the past several weeks. It has flared up my thoracic area, so I am dealing with the stabbing/burning pain and numbness in both arms. Still my left shoulder, the one that was worse to start with is feeling good. (minus the numbness from the T-discs) I have more range of motion than I have had in over 5 years. So, when the surgery is done and recovery is complete, I should be in good shape.

Not Thrilled about
The actual surgery is ok, but I never do good in the recovery room. I start vomiting about 2 hours after surgery and that lasts right through my dry heaves about 3 hours later. My stomach has always had problems with anesthesia.

The hospital stay is fine, the hospital I am going to is great, no problems there.

But then............... the first 6 weeks at home doing
the arm stretching to move my shoulder is NOT FUN. I remember back in April, I would dread those exercises and find any way to get out of the 3 times a day torture.

But overall, I am ready, I know the success I had with my left shoulder so, in about 9 months, I should be as good as I am going to get, which will make me very happy.

During my recovery time, I will be very limited to the amount of time online. Having the one shoulder/arm strapped to my body, sort of makes it hard to be on the computer.

You know, that as soon as I am able , I will be back online.

While I am away, Tam will continue to be the system administrator. She proved how valuable she was as administrator when I was out last time. Her decision making and effective actions were more than enough to show the owners of this site that she should be a permanent system administrator. She is super!

Also, Dave, will be upgraded to a System Administrator while I am gone. He has been a solid asset since coming on board to this team.

As always, I know that the Spine-Health member community will continue to be the best, helping each other out and when needed helping my team.

Thank you, seen you as soon as I can

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• What causes your shoulder problems? I've had to have cortizone in one shoulder several years ago because I have frayed tendons ( to the best of my recall that is what the surgeon said anyway) and could not move that arm or lift it without severe pain. The shots have worked this long but he told me that I would probably need more and would eventually resort to surgery. I'm just wondering if this is your problem and how long you let it go on without surgery.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    The root cause of my shoulder problems was advanced and serious Arthritis deterioration.
    My doctors felt that the rapid advancement of my arthritis was due from the number of spinal surgeries I have had dated back to 1978.

I first started with shoulder problems around 2005. It started with one shoulder. X-Rays and Bone Scans should the 'mass' of arthritis in those joints. The deep cortisone injects help me and provided pain free shoulder movement for almost 18 months.

New X-rays and MRI's indicated the advancement of the deterioration. I started with cortisone injections in both shoulders every six months, which did provide relief.

Newer X-rays showed more advancement of the arthritis deterioration and my Orthopedic doctor recommended complete shoulder replacements as my only option.

Initially , I did not want to even think about that surgery. I figured, it would really mess up the existing problems I have with my thoracic and cervical areas. But then, the cortisone injections didnt help and I started to really lose range of motion in both arms and the pain increased.

There was bone on bone situations, many of the tendons were completely frayed, my shoulders became a mess.

So, finally, this past April I had my first complete shoulder replacement. The surgeon removes the humerus head, then reshapes the glenoid. A new plastic glenoid is pressed into place. The the upper part of the humerus is hollowed out to receive a metal stem implant. Then a metal ball is attached and the it is joined with the glenoid.

It has helped So very much

Basically, I went about 5 years from the first sign of shoulder problems until the surgeries.

Hope this helps
  • Ron you know I wish you a fast and easy surgery and recovery. It has to be hard to go back so soon after the first surgery. You haven't had time to forget what it was like. But you do know how great the outcome will be.

Can't the anesthesiologist give you something for the sickness? I have a weak stomach and they told me they would take care of that. Didn't have even the slightest problem. Vomiting and dry heaves can't be helpful right after surgery. I would talk to the doctors before your surgery.

Again Good Luck and hurry back. We do miss you when you are gone.
    Last time I did tell the anesthesiologist about my stomach. This time I will make sure they take care of that.

Besides getting sick to my stomach, I remember my first lumbar surgery, I had hiccups for two days. That was not fun. It was my hiatal hernia acting up.
    Which I guess in today's terms, it was more like acid reflux or GERD. Thankfully, I haven't had any problems with that since the late 1970's

Take care of yourself.. Hopefully by the time I get back, many of your problems with by straightened out and you have a more pain-free day to day life.
  • Good Luck Ron,

I do hate to think about you having the stomach problem after surgery. In this medical day it just doesn't seem necessary. Let them know what ever they did last time DID NOT WORK and you are counting on them to make the necessary adjustments.

Speaking of technical advances, you mean there's no software that types when you talk? Now that would be just what the doctor ordered.

OH, You could probably use the break. OK! OK!

We'll be good!

Safe recovery!
  • Good luck and speedy recovery Ron! Get healed up and come back to us with a renewed mind, body and soul. Your great team will continue on in your footsteps in your absence, so don't worry about anything here, just heal up and come back to us when you can! Take care
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • well with your shoulder surgery.

Wow, I didn't know they were doing actual shoulder replacements - - that's amazing! Guess with being a "totally hip" and "partial knee" gal my focus was downward! :)

Hope this surgery goes smoothly and your expectations for healing and restored shoulder can be met.

Stay in touch when you can...will miss you!

• Glad to hear you're gonna get this done soon, all that much more for healing up and feeling better. Maybe this recovery won't be as hard - this shoulder is in better shape than the other was right? I'll keep you in my thoughts and send positive energy for a speedy recovery. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My thoughts and prayers will be with you, Ron, especially over the nausea issue. I've decided that there's almost nothing more miserable than nausea. I'll take pain any day rather than that. I hope you can work something out with the anesthesiologist that will work this time. I tend to awaken with migraines and having a talk with the anesthesiologist the last couple of times has done wonders.

I didn't notice where you gave a surgery date but will be praying for you anyway. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Sure wish you a successful, speedy surgery and recovery! You'll be back in no time. Of course not soon enough for you! :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery and recovery. I can only imagine how much you hate having to go through another surgery so soon.

I'll miss you while you're away and will be thinking of you.

Take care
  • When I hear of your shoulder replacements, I always think of my mom having both of hers done and being one of the first people in the Boston area having it done. Shoulder replacement is painful, but they have made many advancements in the procedure.

I too used to have horrible nausea and vomiting after anesthesia. The best medication for me, which they give to me via my IV preoperatively, is Zofran. I highly recommend it.

Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

• I hope you have a speedy recovery and your pain levels drop after this surgery and your outcome is a success.

Please let us know how your getting on as we will all miss you and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.Im sending you a soft hug as I dont want to hurt you.. >:D<

• I hope that your surgery and recovery both go well and that you will be feeling well on the way to improvement very soon.

Let us know, when you are able to, how you are doing. :-)
  • I will certainly keep you and your wife in my prayers for an uncomplicated surgery and a great recovery. I know how hard it is on the spouse when their loved one has surgery and shoulder surgery is not an easy surgery by any means. I had a complete tear of the rotator cuff and had surgery in 03. My husband deserved some tpe of medal for putting up with me during the recouperation period. I feel as though I have a pretty good threashold for pain. I complained far less after my cervical fusion than after my rotator cuff surgery. Of course this being your 2nd shoulder surgery you know the drill. If you are getting the big pillow that attaches your arm to your body that in itself is bothersome. I would love to sound all cheery for you but I know there is no way to sugar coat shoulder surgery. We will certainly miss you on the forum as many of your posts have helped me personally and I am sure you have helped many others. You could actually have your wife post for you but she might be apt to do some venting. I think my shoulder surgery took a lot out of my husband both physically and mentally. I am generally a very good patient but of all the surgeries I have had the shoulder surgery was by far the most difficult. Might I suggest you get a few bags of frozen peas as they work well as ice packs and mold gently to the shoulder. Anything to get some relief. I hope you have restful nights as sleeping is difficult also. Hope you have a good recliner. My dad had shoulder surgery not to long ago and could not get comfortable at all. He wandered about his house trying to find anywhere to get comfortable. I had to chuckle when he told me he ended up sleeping in his van with his bag of peas. Sorry to ramble just want you to know how much you are thought of and how much we all care. You have been wonderful to all of us.
    Perhaps you could have your wife send us a post so we know how you are getting along.
  • Hiya Papa, Gentle Gentle Hugs >:D< >:D< >:D< Wishing you all the best O:) Also a good recovery! Remember we all love you here :* :* >:D<

Angie :H
  • I wish to send a shout out of support to Ron as he prepares for his second shoulder surgery this week. I'm confident that everything will turn out fine and he'll be back in the saddle in short order. In the mean time, I'll be filling in for him along with TamTam as an administrator and of course we still have the support of Jeauxbert, haglandc, Neck of Steel, and Cath111.

Feel free to PM any of us should any issues arise in his absence. Good luck with the surgery Ron.

• Ron - take care!

Dave - yep! thanks! have a great day - David
  • I hope your surgery and recovery goes well and hope you don't get so sick after the surgery. Prayers for you. Charry

Will try to behave and trust admin and mods, auth. to look after things!
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • If I remember right, tomorrow is the big day right? Hopefully this one will go even smoother than the last one. Good luck!!! Sending you positive energy and thoughts Ron. *HUGZ*

• Has anyone heard how Ron is doing? Is he more comfortable with this surgery verses the other shoulder? How's his spirits etc.? Wondering minds wanting to know... *HUG* <-- For Ron!

• Brenda,

No word yet. I think if i remember right last time he was in the hospital for 5 days, so hopefully today is return home day for him. I am sure we will be hearing something soon. We will update the threads that are going as soon as something is heard. But I am sure he appreciates all the well wishes, from everyone.
  • Thanks Tamtam. I do think I remember that now (the length of stay). Fingers crossed he is home now eating "real" food and enjoying being back with his family and friends. :)

• Hope the surgery went well, Ron. Fingers crossed for a good, smooth recovery (and good 'real' food, as Brenda mentioned).
  • I have heard from Ron, he is doing as good as to be expected following major surgery. He is a great deal more pain following this surgery, as apparently there was many more bone spurs that had to be removed that they anticipated. But he is on the mend and appreciates all the well wishes and thoughts from everyone. Obvious typing is very hard so I am sure he is reading the boards, just won't be able to post anything for sometime yet.

• Wishing you all the best in your recovery.

Things are bound to be tough at first, but each week should get easier. You are over the first hurdle now, and on your way down the straight. Just a few more hurdles to go, but each one gets you closer to the finish post. :-)

Keep your eyes on that finishing line.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thanks tamtam for letting us know how it's going with Ron.

Ron, I hope your pain is lessening more each day. Take it easy and try to be patient.

• Tamtam,

Thanks so much for the update!! Ron, sorry they had to do more this go around. Hopefully they won't ever have to go into either of your shoulders ever again! I hope you are resting, relaxing, *and* following doctors orders and instructions to a T! *HUGZ*

Thanks for all the good wishes for my surgery and recovery.
    I am home on the mend, but honestly, I really cant spend the time I want to on Spine-Health. I want to, but I know if I stay logged on and start to read posts, I will post, start new threads, etc all which will not help my recovery.

The surgery went fine, but there were a number of 'extras' involved. The day before my surgery, I had a follow up with my psychiatrist. The recent diagnostic tests came back with confirmed TOS. We had suspected that for a long time , but now its official. We talked about postponing the surgery. When I talked to my surgeon about TOS, he told me I have two options:

1 - Postpone the surgery and then do it with a nerve monitor.

2 - Do it now, because even with a nerve monitor, there are no guarantees a nerve might get nicked.

I had the surgery, they just added two nerve blocks.
    The surgery took about 2 hours longer than anticipated. The surgeon sawed off part of my upper collar bone and removed some larger bone spurs. My new scar (added Red Badge of Courage) is about twice as long as the other shoulder.

After the surgery, my surgeon told me about some nerve roots going down my arm and that they may take up to two years to completely recover. This shoulder was in much worse shape the my left shoulder, so the recovery will be a bit longer. I have had a tough time doing any rehab, only because of the swelling of the shoulder/arm and pain. My doctor up'd the pain medication schedule to try to manage the situation. Time will tell.

But , I just wanted to drop in quickly to say hello and provide some updated status.
    I wish I could say when I will start to log on my frequently, but only my shoulder will know for sure when that will happen.

I hope that all of you are doing the best you can and are as pain free as possible.

I really miss being online here. Its times when I am away from here that I really understand the 'extra' family I have here. And that applies to everyone I dialogue with everyday, post to, etc and also to those that I may have had some friction with.
    I try to do what is best for this site, so I know at times I do 'tick' off a number of members.

I will be back!
  • Welcome back, Papa Ron! It's so good to hear from you. Your great admin/mod/authority team is doing a beautiful job of keeping the forum running smoothly, but we miss you!

Wow, you've had a HUGE surgery and must be in a lot more pain than you're admitting to. Will keep praying for a good result and smooth recovery--and pain control! Try to stay off the computer as much as possible so your shoulder heals properly. I know it's hard to do--I'm probably sitting at the computer longer than I should be, too.

Thanks for putting forth the effort and enduring the pain so you could post an update here. We're all wishing you a speedy recovery! Gentle hugs image

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled