Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hydrotherapy for the first time today.....

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
As it was the first session I was only in there for half an hour (it's usually 45 minutes). I had to walk in the water, which wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. 'Hang' off the edge of the pool supported by my arms and letting my legs dangle (to stretch the spine). Then, like a pendulum, I had to move my legs from side to side. Oh, and also twist gently from side to side. I finished off with some 'core strength' exercises, some more walking and then the session ended. I felt like a dead weight coming out of the pool, but I really enjoyed it.

My right butt and leg (down to my foot) hurt, as well as my lumbar spine, but it wasn't unbearable. I do feel tired now and will go and lie down (with my paper, tv, ciggies and a coffee).

I am on a phased return at work and my line manager wants me to do 4 half days next week (I do hope Thursday afternoon isn't one of them cos I will just want to fall asleep!).

I thought these sessions were for 6-8 weeks only. It turns out I was wrong. The first 6-8 weeks is for individual sessions and then, after that, you get transferred into the bigger group session. I don't know how many weeks that's for. I told my manager that hydrotherapy would only last up to 8 weeks - looks like I'll have to up-date her when I go in next week. They are supposed to give me time to attend these sessions, so that's good.

I'm looking forward to next weeks' session now.

If any of you have had hydrotherapy, over how many weeks did you attend? I'd be interested to get some feedback on this, thanks.
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• I did the individual sessions twice a week for 1 month. I then graduated to land based PT for 5 months while I continued in the water on my own 5 days a week for 5 months.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    As you described, initially the aqua therapy is done with direct one on one support from a therapist.
    That includes walking in the water, back and forward, side to side. Body stretching at the pool side, and the exercises with paddles, noodles and water ponies.

I was doing that 2 x week for about 10 weeks. I was amazed at just how much this took out of me. The first two weeks, I was exhausted. I just figured water exercise had to be easier than land physical therapy. I started to adjust.

That was almost 3 years ago. I 'graduated' from formal Aqua therapy to Independent program
    That basically meant I was on my own, supervised by a technician. There could be as many as 5 other people doing the same thing.

There were special groups that you could sign up for also.

I still go and find it so very helpful.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I really wish I had been offered hydro. I am a swimmer and love being in the water. I used to do aqua-aerobics too. I might see about organising myself some once this infection thing is cleared up.

• I had hoped to have aqua therapy after my fusion, but no luck.

Almost every post I read here, finds that it is so helpful.

In the summer, we stayed at a hotel with a spa and I went swimming every day. It felt sooooo good and relaxing.

Our local pool doesn't have the nice warm water that the hotel spa had. I don't think it would be the same! :S

Nel, I am still praying for that infection to heal :-)
    It will soon be half term. I really hope that you will be able to get away. :D
  • I live in a small community and there is no organized water therapy program. My PT's have encouraged me to go to a pool but I found that hard to do. Some pools the water is freezing. Some pools had limited hours of availability. I finally contacted an apartment complex and I can use their pool for a cheap fee. It is great! The water is very warm. The pool is pretty easy to get to. And many times I have the pool all to myself. Being a swimmer, I love the water and I am able to transfer some of the exercises from PT to the water. There are also some videos on-line that give ideas for exercises in the pool. I can go there on my schedule and I can have a great workout. I find it feels so good that I would encourage everyone to try it. The water is great at supporting one in proper alignment and I do use a noodle to help. I wish I had discovered the benefits months ago.
  • This sounds like something that would feel good. Not sure if anyone in our town offers hydrotherapy or if I'm too early after fusion to do it, will have to ask. I'm to avoid twisting because the screws went into somewhat soft bone and they don't want them to work loose. Am thinking hydrotherapy might put too much stress on my back before there's fusion begun, but I'm going to remember this and ask about it.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled