Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Blocks in lower back

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Injections
So I just had my first nerve blocks done on my lower back this morning. Normally, my lower back hurts when I stand/sit or do anything really but laying down gives relief, and bending over, while still kind of painful, does give relief in some way. It relieves the pressure I guess. Anyways, the blocks have worked great so far (2 hours, lol) I can stand and sit with no pain! However, now, to bend over is so incredibly painful! Is that normal?
He was also poking around before the shots, maybe that's why. He was pressing where the SI joint is, and I just about went through the roof every time he pressed on that area. We already know I have issues with my facet joints (in both my neck and now my back) and he figures the SI joint is now getting out of whack (my words not his, lol)
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• Kelly- remember that along with that block there was probably plenty of medicine injected into a small area. It is going to take some time for that to absorb. The pressure from the extra fluid could be what you are feeling. Don't over do it. You should be taking it easy despite feeling super energized for the next few days.

• Let the nerves get bathed good by resting.

Trust me, Kelly. This is very important.

Just had my third series of nerve blocks with coccyx injections...and... SI joint midline injections yesterday. I just about hit the ceiling with the SI joint injections! The others are always tolerable, but I was literally in tears during the SI joint ones.

Feel EXCELLENT relief today, but I need to rest on my sides today and ice throughout the day.

Again, rest so those nerves get a good bathing.

Tammy >:D<
  • I hope you're feeling better today? I had my injections yesterday and I too found a few hours of relief but feeling bruised up today. I usually rest for 3 days afterwards as I'm too sore. My Dr. grabs my hip and butt like it's a fillet ready to be done and pinches my SI joints to find the right spots! Take care and hope the next few days you're feeling better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks everyone! This morning, I woke up, and my lower back didn't hurt, WOOHOO!!! Just if I move a certain way, but that's okay.
    He actually put me on the wait list to get an RFA done, just so I'd be on the list, and he's going to do facet and SI joint injections in the meantime. ugh. And, he wants to try another RFA on the side of my neck that didn't work out well the last time. It's been 3 months, and it is still so sensitive. He said the frequency was probably too high, and he'd like to try it again (after me telling him that I never wanted it done again on that side). I trust him completely, but that's something I need to think about first.
    Tammy and Charry, I hope the injections help you, and the pain from them doesn't last too long!
    Reformed, I hope that you find relief soon. I guess lesson learned here, maybe just keep it to telling him what doesn't work. I find that doctors have their favourite meds or methods that they use, and tend to not like it when you tell them that it doesn't work for you. It's like they think it's the end all be all answer for everyone.
  • Those RFAs are really awesome! And I found out that they also do them for the SI joint, so I'm going to get those after my surgery. I'll be all ablated.

So glad it worked for most of you. Reformed, what are we going to do with you? You only just started with this pain doctor!

Being unwilling to try procedures and suggesting meds does make some doctors twitchy. But really, don't start getting aggravated so early in the game. None of them are going to be perfect. Your bad experiences in the past are going to start popping up, you have to calm them down and give this one a few tries at least.
  • Up to this point I have willingly done every procedure and tried every med that has been prescribed, so I'm not sure I understand your comment, HB.
  • I'm at day 8 and I should be feeling better by now, but instead I have severe aching throughout my entire lower body and my "normal" pain areas are much worse. I had to see my PM doc and ask for stronger pain meds to get my through this. He said that even though the nerve block didn't work, that the pain should subside very soon.

I guess it's not a total loss. We now know that my facet joints are not my problem. I think I could have told him that to begin with, but he's the doctor. Ohhhh, did he make that clear when I told him the medicine that he was about to prescribe would not work for me based upon my experience. That was a huge mistake for me to make. Now my credibility with him is in question. I suppose I sounded like a drug seeker. In fact, his great idea to do this nerve block is what made my pain go off the charts, so I think I was justified in asking for help in alleviating the pain. I just learned that you never ever tell the doctor what to give you (even though I knew based upon my experience).

• We have all been a pin cushion this week, haven't we?? LOL

Kelly, happy Thanksgiving!!

My PM doctor and staff have told me to be very, very patient with them, that it may take quiet a bit of time to realize the end effect of the blocks, LOA etc. I'm sure there is generalized pain from the inflammation caused by all the manipulation. Dave, I think that maybe what HB is referring to as well.

I am possibly doing the RFA after my last lysis of adhesions in 2 weeks. My PM doctor's nurse said that the RFA was only for the facet pain. I have severe SI instability, and thought that maybe we could do RFA on the SI, but she said NO.

HB..have you had RFA on your SI???
  • How many of these SI injections have you had? How long are they effective for you?
  • Thanks sleepr! It was a very good dinner indeed, turkey with all the trimmin's and homemade apple pie, yummmm,lol. I think the extra pain on the joint was because he kept pushing on it, it did calm down. The blocks worked for a couple of days, but not anymore, but like he told me when I was getting them in my neck, you may need them frequently in the beginning, but as time goes on, the effect should start to last longer and longer. One can only hope! On my neck, they didn't, but my neck is in far worse shape than my back.

I think for me, he's just doing the RFA for the facets, but we didn't talk too much about it. I see him this week, so I will ask him if they do it for the SI joint as well.