Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Window washing Solution

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Yesterday at the hardware store I bought a bottle of Windex Outdoor Window Cleaner. It's one of those that you hook up to your hose and just by spraying it cleans the windows on the outside. The price seemed a little steep - about $10 - but it will do all of the windows.

The great news is it works!!! I wasn't expecting much but knowing that I wasn't hauling out ladders this year it was worth a shot. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I did use the hose with the regular noozle to do a final rinse.

The bad news is my arm, neck and shoulder are a little sore. It took me a little while to put the two together - lol. But it is nothing compared to what really washing them would have caused.

And on the bright side this was so easy that I think even a child could do it for you - with supervision. If you can hold the hose you're in!! My only warning is don't try it on a windy day. THis morning was fine but the wind just picked up and the water was going everywhere.

• Kris,

My union contract says no windows or mirrors. Trust me keeping them dirty is better than the smear marks i put up, anyway. I figure at least the peeping toms can't see in if I can't see out? But seriously the house cleaner does them, thank god for windows that you clean from the inside.
  • You're supposed to WASH them?

• That's why you need new windows. Ever hear of vacuums? That could be the reason for new carpet :)
  • Um, ever hear of bad backs? Those could be the reason for yours.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Kris, Your killin me =))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Well Brenda that is one thing I have to thank my husband for. 15 years ago we put in a central vac system. My husband insisted on it - I didn't think we needed it....guess who won that one.

The system is amazing. It makes the carpet fluffy. My carpet in the bedrooms and hall is 15 years old and looks almost new.

But the best part is the wand...it's ajustable and it's about 12" longer than a normal vacuum. NO BENDING !!!!
  • Kris,

My house is one story, so cleaning the windows isn't too bad. I pressure wash them, and squeegee them. Now "central vac system?" Not familiar with that. How does that work?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • It's great. You have the vacuum unit mounted in one location. It has a collection bin and also exhausts out of the house. You run 1 1/2 pvc to where ever you want outlets. Then you have just a hose that you plug into the outlet. No canister to drag around or heavy upright to push.

I have 30 ft hoses on the first and second floor plus the different attachments so I don't have to carry anything between floors. So I take the hose out of the closet, plug it in and go. That hose can do the whole floor since we put the outlets in the center of the house on each level.

About once a month I have to go downstairs to empty the canister at the main unit. It's amazing how well it cleans. And it's supposed to be really good if you have allergies since it exhausts outside the house.

The price is about the same as a high-end vacuum. I've had mine for 15 yrs and it's still going strong.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Uggh, both me work and not so great on the back/neck.

I've used the Windex Window Cleaner. We've been doing it for years. Just cant do it when its too sunny out and it is important to rinse with clean water afterwards.

Now vacuuming... In our previous house , we did have a Central Vacuum system. It was easier and more convenient than standard vacuums. Ours was an older unit , so it wasn't all that powerful.

We have had several of those Elec.... vacuum cleaners.
    The one that is advertised to suck up 7 steel balls.
    Well, we never had steel balls on the carpet. Good machine, but way too expensive to operate. In the repair shop at least 2x a year.

This year, we got the solution. We purchased one of those I-Robot Rombats. It does a great job on bare floors as well as carpets. I have it set to 'go out' around 1:00 3 times a week. It does it cleaning, then goes back to its home base when its finished.

Love it, clean floors and carpets without having to actually use a hand held vacuum

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Wow Kris, that sounds pretty cool! I've heard the term before, but never gave it much thought. I have a Rainbow, but the canister weighs a bit, and you have a basin you put water in, then you put the vacuum on top of it, then pick it up again to put it on the rollers. Way too much on the back. I bought a Shark due to its size and much less 'bending' to use it, or empty it. Works pretty darn good too!

Your system sounds pretty spine friendly. :) Too bad "I Dream of Jeanie" was make up. I would love to cross my arms, blink, boom done - clean! (G) Looks like you guys planned well with that house Kris. :)

• My vacuum/mirror washer/toilet cleaner is called "Cynthia." She is automatic, but not cheap.
  • hahahaha Brenda...I have a Rainbow too. Gees that thing is heavy! Does an awesome job but it's heavy. We leave that one downstairs and have a small upright for upstairs. My hubby won't let me touch the rainbow b;c it's so heavy.

and the windows...grrrr....I haven't washed mine in quite sometime, but I just told hubby about the windex. thanks for that info Kris.
  • Kind of funny in a bad way how those 7 steel balls vacuums seem to be. You either get a good one or a piece of never ending junk.

I read all the reviews and could not figure out what to buy and one day my wife brought the 7 ball bearing special home. So far it has survived Chewy and his old age shedding and dirt tracked into the house, now it is dealing with Shadow and his destruction splurges. he loves to chew up plastic soda bottles, guts stuff animals, tracks in dirt, but NO Shedding!

Anyway we've had ours for over 2 years and knock on plastic, it is behaving itself and working quite well.

Sorry yours did not have the balls (bearings that is) to perform up to par.

I wanted an in house vacuum, I was just not in shape to do it when our last vacuum reached the end of its run, or so I thought. After I got well enough I tore it down, cleaned and lubed the beater bar and a new belt and it works again, it's a Phantom thunder or fury and also got a lot of bad reviews...funny how I keep getting the ones no one likes :?
  • Tarheelgirl,

If I use it (mine is on wheels), my hubby is great. I'll fill the basin, but he puts the vacuum on it, and then sets it in the wheel dolly. When I'm done, he takes it apart, empties the basin of yuck, and gives it back to me. Mostly I use the Shark now - light, minor bending to take the bag-less canister out to empty. :)

We take the Shark in the RV, and I got the 'pet attachments' - they are great and perfect for RV or cars too! :)

• I'd rather have new windows!! But guess I'll settle to have the old windows washed. I'm glad you posted this because I have wanted to try(not myself, buy it for someone else to do...LOL) that Windex outdoor Cleaner. I wondered how well it worked. I thought it might not be easy or make them worse, especially if I had kids/teens do it. But you have convinced me to get some to have on hand so when the time comes I can convinve someone to do it! I'm embarrassed to say how long it's been and they are so very dirty! Let's just say our windows haven't been cleaned since the last time I did them way back when. I do have to give my son credit for cleaning the window that I look out of when stuck in bed. He's cleaned it whenever I have asked him to because it does brighten my view/day! But now there's hope for all the windows! Thanks!