Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had to have a repeat Fusion need some advice!!!

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

I posted something a few days ago about a Fusion Revision. My question is did any one have a second Fusion in the same area? I'm going to the Dr Tuesday to discuss it. I have a non-union with loose hardware. I'm in so much pain not sure what to do I would love to hear some input!

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09

• I had revision surgery 2 years ago. I was fused enough to provide stability but not enough for long term. I actually had my hardware removed during the procedure. I'm fused now but have other issues. The surgery will probably be similar to the first one you underwent.

• I haven't had revision done yet but my dr. told me up front I'd need this fusion(L2/3/4) re-done in the future plus add on levels with time. He couldn't tell me how long before I'll need it but just wanted me to know up front. It will be up to my back and when we agree the time has come.

I think it might be more common than we think. I've read about it so I'm sure others will see your post and give you their insight.I know it's scary especially now you know what you will be facing but if it helps with your pain level and stability of your spine it will be worth the pain. Good luck!

• Thank you Kathy for responding! I will know more Tuesday!!
  • Thank you Dave for responding! I will know more Tuesday not really looking forward to it but also this pain I can't live with either!!

• I had ACDFusions for ruptures at C4/5 and C6/7 in April of 2009. Lumbar 4/5 fused in July 2009. Had to have C5/6 done this May 2010. Just had MRI this past Wednesday and C3/4 is ruptured and C6/7 has shifted and both are causing serious pressure on the spinal cord ... and now C7 is also bulging. More surgery scheduled for Dec 15. I have used up all FMLA leave & it will take until Dec 15 to accrue just two weeks to recover from this next surgery. Will have to return to work Jan 3.

I have degenerative disc disease ... does this ever stop? I have serious pain 24/7 in my neck - numbness in fingers & along arm. It is all I can do to make it through each day at work. I am almost to the point of tears by 10 a.m. I'm an accountant & have to look down at paperwork & computer all day. I have modified my desk & propped my work up as much as possible. Any ideas on how to get through this ... or what I can expect in the future.