Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mom is getting first nerve root block

dreemsnakeddreemsnake Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Injections
My mom has been having a lot of pain in her lower back. She is very active, but for two years she has had trouble standing in one place without pain (but no trouble with walking). For the past two months, she has been in way more pain than ever, and she isn't one to complain of pain so I know that it is serious. She has trouble with all kinds of movement now, especially standing up from a sitting position.

She went through physical therapy, but she came out of it worse than before.

Next week, she is getting a left L5 selective nerve root block. The only other health problem she has is her heart - she has arrhythmia and mitral valve prolapse. The only medication she takes is one aspirin a day, because most medications give her bad side effects. She has never taken prescription medications of any kind (although she has tried different times, like meds for her heart, or even estrogen). She is 83 and again, very active.

She will stop taking aspirin 7 days before the procedure, but does anyone know if there are any risks to her heart? She always takes antibiotics before dental procedures so I was just wondering if she needs to take any procautions here.

Thanks for your help.

• Hi dreems, as none of us here are medical professionals and therefore can't give medical advice, I think the best person to ask about this is her doctor who treats her for her heart.

That's terrific that's she's 83 and has been so active up until now, I hope that the blocks help her so she can get right back at it!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thank you for your answer. I know that I was asking patients, not physicians but I usually get the most useful information from patients with experience.

Whenever my mom has an invasive medical or dental procedure, she is supposed to take antibiotics beforehand. But a couple of years ago, before a colonoscopy, she mentioned to the doctor doing the procedure that she would need a prescription for antibiotics so that she could take them ahead of time (as she had always done). He said, "We don't do that here." She ended up with endocarditis and was hospitalized with IV antibiotics. She ended up okay, but she could have died.

The doc doing the injections said that she didn't need them. Her cardio has been notified and he didn't tell her that she needed them. But I didn't think it would hurt to ask if anyone out there with heart issues has taken antibiotics prior to injection. It is an injection, after all, and she does have to give up NSAIDs for a week.

Thanks again.

P.S. It does sound like you don't think she's too old for this procedure, so that helps!