Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Grinding In Neck

fatcatflame10ffatcatflame10 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
~X( I have been having Grinding in my neck for the last 2-3 weeks and now it is starting to hurt and I am unable to turn my head to the right very far. It has not been preventing me from sleeping or any thing elese so please tell me what I should do Not sure if it is in the spine or if it just muscle PLEASE HELP ME if you have any Info please let me know. You can find me on facebook under Amy Elizabeth Rodkey so if you want you can send me a message :''(

• I've experienced grinding in my neck and was told it was caused by arthritis. Are you by any chance popping your neck yourself? If so, that can cause a sore neck.

There's no way for any of us to know what is actually wrong with you. Anything we say would be a guess, at best, and not many people here will probably even hazard a guess. If this is distressing enough to you, it might be a good idea to see your PCP so he can get the ball rolling on a diagnosis.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Howdy Elizabeth,

Beautiful name by the way. :) My neck is Rice Krispies daily! Here is what my NS told me. If it makes noise, and no pain, probably ligaments, air etc. If you however have restrictions/pain, see the Neurologist or him. So I guess what I am saying here based on your post, you really might want to reach out to your doctor and let him/her know what's been going on. Please let us know how it goes.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Mine crunches at the level where my skull pivots....it gets stuck sometimes...and makes a hard pop ...everyone hears it...when it does that....it makes me dizzy.
  • Have you seen a Dr. about your neck?

I had grinding more in my lower back and my Dr. said it's the ligaments and arthritis. Spinal injections have helped take away the grinding. Actually the griding was worse right after then it eases up I guess from inflammation? Hope you're getting it checked out Catflame Amy. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Me too. I get the grinding and popping in my neck all day long. I often wonder why no one else seems to hear it -- to me it sounds soo loud.

The doc and PT seem to attribute it to ligaments as they stretch over each other. The pain is most likely from the irritation to the ligaments or tissue. But like everything if it hurts or makes you uncomfortable check with a doctor.