Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tomorrow is the big day

dryflydryfly Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Well, I'm finally getting the trial implant tomorrow.......think good thoughts for me. I'll post back with results.

• Yes indeed, it IS a big day for you and I do want to wish you the best. I hope you will get relief in your pain. I feel sure you will.
    Sending you a big hug coz you need it. >:D<
    Patsy W
  • a little more information about yourself and the procedure would not have gone a miss .good luck anyway let us know how you get on
  • Sure...more info about me. I'm 40 and had a fusion in 2008 (360 cage L4-L5-S1.) No one has used the term "failed" in reference to the fusion, but it basically just changed the kind of pain I feel. I fell hiking on Mt. Hood back in 1998 and fractured L4. FInally dealt with the pain when they did the fusion in '08. I also had a car wreck in '08 and have had thoracic pain since then. SInce the surgery I've had multiple injections (which have helped some) and PT. The Doc's say I'm a good candidate for the SCS...they use the St. Jude unit, so we'll see.
  • Well, I just got home from the procedure. Everything went smooth, only some minor pain / pressure during the implant of the leads. Less pain than a steroid injection. The stimulation is a strange feeling that I'm sure takes some getting use to. Right now it's very positional.....the level of stim changes when I move. This is normal they say for the temporary trial. Right now it's going into my legs more than I like, I've got 4 programs to play with. The St. Jude rep is great, very friendly and knowledgeable. I'm going to talk with them more tomorrow about the stim in my legs.
  • This a test and yes the positional thing will be better with a permanent one, there is still some of that though. Less if they do the paddle leads.

Main thing is to figure out if it helps your pain or merely adds another sensation to it. The longer the trial is in the more information you can gather about what to do. Play with the programs, turn it off every 4 hours or so to see how your pain level changes.

Hope it works out for you.
  • Talked to the ST. Jude rep this AM, I was hoping he would meet with me again today to try and get the buzzing out of my legs.......looks like it's going to be tomorrow though. Kinda frustrating cause I can't turn up the stim enough to get my back without driving my legs crazy. My back is much sorer today after the procedure than yesterday...
  • Met with the rep to get some adjustments made this AM. He basically told me that it was not possible to stop the leg stimulation during the trial, but that the permanent (paddle leads) would be more targeted. Right now it's almost irritating to be honest......I want stimulation RIGHT where my pain is and nowhere else.

Has anybody else run into this problem? Did it get better after the perm. implant?