Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery 10/18

huskymomhhuskymom Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm scheduled for surgery next Monday and am beyond nervous! I had PLIF L4/L5 last September done by a ns and the os that I saw for hip pain said he believes that there is a non-union based on the symptoms and the fact that I had a short time of relief after surgery initially. He said he cannot tell for sure if there is a non-union from the studies that he's done.

The top left pedicle screw is hitting the joint at l3/l4 so he said the hardware has to be removed regardless. So he's going to go in, remove the hardware and do exploratory surgery to determine if the fusion did heal or not. If it didn't heal completely, he will redo the fusion surgery, otherwise the surgery will just entail removing the hardware.

The pain is pretty bad tonight, it's like I can feel the screws on the left side and they don't feel right.

I've been having increased numbness in my left leg and left foot along with shooting pains down the back of my leg. I talked to the os the other night and he indicated that these are symptoms of non-union. I had gone from positive thinking that the hardware was just going to be removed and recovery was going to be easier to now thinking that the re-fusion is going to be done. I know I've been thru this once already, but this time I'm even more scared.

I'm going in for another MRI on Wednesday because the ns called me out of the blue to see how I was doing (he basically shoved me aside and sent me to see the os who took over my care) and he indicated the the spine pain could be because another disk above or below is going bad. So the os agreed to do the MRI before surgery. I hope they don't find anything else, but sometimes you hope they find something because it could be the answer to everything.

Thanks for listening (or reading)...hubby is working which leaves me too much time to think and worry!