Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my MRI, not good

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Spiney Family,

Had my cervical MRI done yesterday. My cervical x-rays showed some nasty pics of my spine and Dr. wanted more clarity.

To even a patient/lay-person like myself I looked at my films and it is sooooooo not good. I can clearly see 3 discs pushing on my spinal cord at C2-C5, besides the awful kyphosis and DDD.

I just had my second 2 level fusion less than a year ago, I am not ready for another surgery!!Aaaack!!

Of course I will see what my surgeon says, but things don't look that promising. So....I will most likely be hitting up you neckies (cath111, brenda...) for guidance, helpful info from your experiences, etc., since I am "just" a veteran of the lower back.

Anyway, feels better just "getting it out there" and it sinks into my brain what is coming up next. Posting helps me with accepting what is going on. OK, next is to wait for the 20th of Oct. appt. with my surgeon.

Take care all,

• So sorry to hear of bad results like these. Keep your courage up and let your friends here help support you through whatever you end up doing. I've had cervical posterior foraminotomy so know what a posterior cervical surgery feels like, but haven't had a cervical fusion so may not be of a source of info. I can send healing thoughts your way, though! >:D<

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Just knowing that there is support out there from such terrific people makes me feel better. I really don't know how I got through my first fusion without this site!

• Now that it's my turn to be on the receiving end of support, I'm finding the sweetest, most caring people are right here in the SH forum.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • >:D< Sorry Lisa,

It sucks! Try to stay positive :)

• Lisa,

First off *HUGZ* Sorry to hear you are joining the "neckie" club! As for support, anyway I can help, I am there for ya! You've been there for me with my "backie" questions. :) Try not to freak yet okay? Wait and see what the doctor says. It will all work out. It sucks, I know, but we are all here for ya woman!!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Well, bummer. My cervical was first to go then the lumbar, so we're opposites. I appreciate your help during my lumbar days, so I'll help you in any way I can during your cervical journey.

Of course, first of all you have to wait and see what your doc says. I know that you can see problems, but you need a real translation from your doc, as you know.

But, I really want to tell you that at least in my case, assuming you eventually end up having an ACDF, the recovery from that is nothing like the recovery from TLIF surgery. I personally found the recovery MUCH easier for the ACDF, even being a 3-lvl. I had told my surgeon that I thought that the 1-lvl TLIF and 3-lvl ACDF would balance out pain-wise, but he said, no, that's not going to be exactly right. The lumbar will be a much harder recovery, even at one level, than your ACDF. And he was right. So, that's the good news (assuming everything goes as expected).

What I really hope happens is that he looks at your MRI and says, "Oh, piece of cake." LOL Wouldn't that be cool? Yeah, right...

Anyway, I'm sorry that things aren't looking good, but we'll have to visit again after Oct. 20 and see what your doc sees and suggests. I'm wishing you the best, but I'm always here if and when you need help or have questions.

Take care and I hope the 20th comes quickly for you. The waiting is always the most difficult, isn't it?

• for you word of support! I'm trying not to jump to conclusions, but I kind of see the writing on the wall, know what I mean?

I promise I will try not to freak out, OK Brenda?!:)

Anyway, this site with so many of you great people that understand and support, well, lets just say you are all priceless.

• Lisa,

Sadly after we've been in spiney land for even a short time, we 'can sort of see' the writing on the wall. We just won't use permanent ink, okay? (G)

As Brenda surreptitiously slides the "I won't freak out contract" for Lisa to sign. :) *HUGZ*

• sorry that your MRI doesn't look good. :(
    Try to keep an open mind until 20th, when you see the surgeon.

Hopefully, Cath's experience and surgeon's talk about the cervical fusion being much easier to recover from than a lumbar fusion, will help you not to freak out. :S

I hope that you will feel not too uncomfortable until 20th and that the thought of finding out what 'the plan' will be will help you to stay calm while you wait. >:D<
  • I'm dealing allright and what will be, will be.

Contract is signed Brenda!!

Today I got awsome news: I am going to (finally!) be an aunt!!! Woo hoo! Good news certainly takes some of the pain away, yeah!

Thanks again,
  • Lisa,

Good girl, now you did sign in ink? (G) Congrats on being an Auntie!!! :) Scarey - 48 and I am a Great-Great Aunt as of 2 years ago!! My 'niece' is 38, my great niece is 22, and the great great is just past 2 years!! Rofla!!!

• I used a crayon for the contract!

Wow: a great-great aunt, awesome. My sister just turned 39 and and I have been waiting patiently. My girls are thrilled. Its so nice to have this to look forward to, something good to focus on.