Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery to straighten neck

rezrrez Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
i have a bump on the back of my neck and its visible, when i touch it i can feel the part where my spine begins to stick out of line, i was wondering if there is surgery available to straighten out my bump? if so what is the surgery called? its only a few vertebraes that are sticking out and causing this bump. how much does it cost? how is the recovery process (after surgery are you able to look up and down, left and right?). thanks guys

• Hi Rez

First welcome to spine-health. What type of doctor is treating you and what do your x-rays are mri films show? Do you know what the name of your condition is called?

Doing spine surgery is just not as easy as opening it up and putting something back in line. There are many risk when you change the structure of the spine.

What type of surgery is your doctor suggesting to fix this problem? What is causing the problem to happen? Are you having any pain and if so what type of pain and what helps it and what makes it worse. What treatments have you tried so far? What types of medications are you currently using?

As you can see there is just so much more information that is needed to really get a idea of what your talking about. I will tell you this most surgeons won't do a spine surgery on someone unless it is life threatening without insurance. Just so many things that can go wrong in surgery. We would all be happy to explain the surgery experience we have had on the procedures we have had done, but unfortunately that may not be the surgery you need done.

Please give us more information look forward to reading more of your post. Welcome to spine-health.
  • Without more information it is difficult to know, but are you talking about the bumps on the back of your neck called the Spinous Process? If so, those are a normal part of spine anatomy. Of course you could be referring to something else, but check out the information below. You could also google "spinous process" for more information.

Spinous process is a bony projection off the posterior (back) of each vertebra. The spinous process protrudes where the laminae of the vertebral arch join and provides the point of attachment for muscles and ligaments of the spine. Spinous processes are the ridges that can be felt through the skin along the back of the spine.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • neck of steel - thanks for your reply but i think my bump is more than just the spinous process, when i lok at myself from the side you can actually see the bump - its quite large.

tamtam - thanks for your reply, im havent actually been to any doctors or receiving any treatments. i only began researching about kyphosis surgery a few months back. as for pain i hardly have any pain and i am not restricted in movement at all. to be honest the only reason why i want surgery done is just for cosmetic purposes but i have heard that very few doctors would agree to carry out this type of operation solely for cosmetic reasons. i have one more question - during kyphosis surgery the spine is straightened out then what happens? what is used (if anything is used) to stop the spine from curving again?

thanks guys
  • I'd be very surprised if you could find any reputable surgeon who would cut on your neck or any part of your spine simply for cosmetic reasons. There needs to be medical reason for undertaking such serious surgery.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Rez,

If it were me and you were concerned about the appearance I would work on your posture. Also seeing a good physical therapist could work with you with proper body mechanics to work that issue out on its own.

I agree with inchworm, I doubt any reputable surgeon would take that procedure on. You have to realize to fix it wold involve major surgery and your messing with the spine, structure. while i had kyphosis and surgery had to be done for issues with herniations and the possible risk of cord damage, I have now been through 6 spine surgeries, and still in chronic pain. So if it were me I am not sure I would risk opening pandora's box for cosmetic reasons. One of the risk you sign of on spine surgery is the need for future surgeries and the domino effect that happens.
  • yeah i have sort of let go of the idea of surgery, i guess my back is staying the way it is lool. i might start looking into physical therapy. thanks for your all your comments and help guys, its appreciated!
  • You're welcome rez. Come back anytime, and I hope you can get PT or some kind of exercise that will help your neck to look more normal. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Let him look you over...you didn't give your age...if you are over 45...it could be a genetic curving that can happen...type of osteoporosis...slang term...dowager hump...may need to be treated form calcium loss and start some exercises tom decrease the rate of changes to your spine....another thing to rule out is Cushens (spelling?) disease...this can cause a fatty growth over that area giving you a buffalo hump back there.....in any event...if all checks out and you are not suffering...don't have surgery...bones, ligaments, nerves, and muscles will all be traumatized during surgery...there will be scar tissue formed inside and out...which can cause problems later down the road....why subject yourself to pain and perhaps more pain in the future...if you don't need to....everyone has a few flaws...no one is perfect...get reassured by your doctor...then focus on all of the positives...best of luck to you...and let us know how you are doing.